Hollis wing and BP for teenager and travel

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

BlueDevil

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I have only just had a look at the Hollis website so don't know much about their gear as yet.

I am looking for a BC for my teenage daughter, which needs to be simple, fit a small stature and be light for travel. I am wondering if something in the Hollis range would fit the bill?

The Hollis ATS looks nice but at 4.3kg is heavier than the average BC so I don't really see it as a good travel option (and is probably beyond her needs anyway)

I was wondering about a Solo harness (at only .45 kg) or maybe the Elite (not too bad at .77kg). I couldn't see any info on backplates on the website - I presume there is ally available - what weight would this be? An S Series wing would do the job, maybe the 25lb would be okay - how much would that weigh? (Do the 38lb wings weigh much more than the 25?) How do we attach the tank - is an STA required and if so how much would that weigh? How adjustable is the harness - need to fit a small female of around 90-95lb. I guess it is possible to add some pockets on to the harness?

So a Solo harness with ally backplate and 25lb wing looks like a nice simple and streamlined rig - do you think it would suit a teenage beginner and be light weight for travel? Sorry if my questions seem a bit basic but I haven't used a wing and BP myself as yet.

Thanks for any help and advice!!

Dave

I have only just had a look at the Hollis website so don't know much about their gear as yet.

I am looking for a BC for my teenage daughter, which needs to be simple, fit a small stature and be light for travel. I am wondering if something in the Hollis range would fit the bill?

The Hollis ATS looks nice but at 4.3kg is heavier than the average BC so I don't really see it as a good travel option (and is probably beyond her needs anyway)

I was wondering about a Solo harness (at only .45 kg) or maybe the Elite (not too bad at .77kg). I couldn't see any info on backplates on the website - I presume there is ally available - what weight would this be? An S Series wing would do the job, maybe the 25lb would be okay - how much would that weigh? (Do the 38lb wings weigh much more than the 25?) How do we attach the tank - is an STA required and if so how much would that weigh? How adjustable is the harness - need to fit a small female of around 90-95lb. I guess it is possible to add some pockets on to the harness?

So a Solo harness with ally backplate and 25lb wing looks like a nice simple and streamlined rig - do you think it would suit a teenage beginner and be light weight for travel? Sorry if my questions seem a bit basic but I haven't used a wing and BP myself as yet.

Thanks for any help and advice!!

Dave

Hi Dave,

Great Questions.

For travel, a backplate/wing is my first suggestion. We carry an Aluminum plate (-2lbs/.9kg) which can support both the Solo or the Elite harness system. Either one will work great, but for a female teenager converting from a standard BCD to a BP/W, she will favor the adjustability and comfort of the Elite. It comes standard with all the necessary webbing, hardware and even sternum strap.

For wings i would suggest the S25. I would be able to make a more accurate suggestion with additional information such as exposure suit, tank type, etc but the S25 should be more than enough. It can be attached to the backplate via our Single Tank Adapter (-1lb/.45kg), which creates a total system weight of 7lbs/3.17kg.

If you are looking for additional weight, we carry a 10lbs. quick release weight system (part no. 208.0010) which is woven onto the waist strap and attached to the backplate by a stainless bookscrew.

For a complete list of Hollis dealers in your area, please contact Hollis Australia -- Russell Kitt @ rjk@oceanicaus.com.au.

Hope this helps.

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom