Galileo SOL vs. Aeris elite T3

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

capt. dave

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Does anyone know if the SOL can be mounted on a retractable holder rather than the wrist mount? My LDS swears by the Aeris elite T3, but I like the SOL. Anyone with experience using the digital compass on the SOL for navigation? Again, my LDS states that digital is more difficult when compared to a regular compass.

I dive the Oceanic VT3 (which is the Aeris T3) and my wife dives a Galileo SOl. The SOL is wrist mount only and I haven't run across any aftermarket ways of making it retractor friendly. The T3 and the SOL are both great computers and have the same basic features: wireless AI, DTR, EDT, cute bars and graphs, enough user adjustable alarms to piss-off every fish in the ocean, etc. The SOL is much more conservative than the T3. The T3 can work with multiple gasses if you're a tech diver, but the SOL kills it in the coolness factor. I also tend to lose my transmitter signal more than the SOL. But, the SOL is also HUGE. Since you're comparing an $800 computer with a $1500. one I'll assume $ is not really a factor and I say get the one you want. Your LDS would have a hard time making a convincing argument that the T3 is better than the SOL. Less expensive. . . Yes. But definitely not better. Either way, you really can't go wrong.

The digital compass on the SOL is accurate, maybe a little too accurate. It can be a pain to use at first since it seems to jump around a lot and can be hard to get settled. It just takes a little getting used to, but once you do it's just as easy to use as a regular compass and seems as accurate. I use a regular compass and the wife uses the SOL and both of us manage to keep the team on course.

Does anyone know if the SOL can be mounted on a retractable holder rather than the wrist mount? My LDS swears by the Aeris elite T3, but I like the SOL. Anyone with experience using the digital compass on the SOL for navigation? Again, my LDS states that digital is more difficult when compared to a regular compass.

While the Elite T3/VT3 are very nice machines, the SOL IMO is a hands down winner.

The warnings and display on the SOL are the best i have ever seen in a computer, and yes i am not the most experienced diver in the world, i have seen a lot of this stuff over the years.

Also, the software the SOL interfaces with (SmartTRAK) is pretty sweet as well.

My choice (and what i own) the SOL!

I have not seen a retractor adapter for the SOL, but with a little tinkering, you could make one.

Sam

This is interesting as I'm thinking either a vt3 w/o a transmitter or a terra.

It has been a bit tricky to find a vtw sans transmitter though and i am concerned that upgrading the Terra to multi-gas could get expensive to not make the display and compass worth it.

Back
Top Bottom