Intro to Cavern in NC

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

gyselle

Registered
Reaction score
Hi,

I'm hoping to do an intro to cavern cost in NC sometime in late april to early may.

Anyone has (or knows of) a good and qualified instructor and his/her dive operation to recommend? I'm hoping to have the cavern course done by any agency but PADI.

Alternatively, i'll be in florida in the later part of may, any recommendations there would be useful too.

Thanks!

I haven't ever heard of an intro to cavern class. Do you mean intro to cave?

If your goal is to eventually do full cave it might be best to start with a cave agency although I'm not sure it really matters. If all you want is a cavern class then the PADI class is the same identical class as NACD or NSS-CDS. Where do you think the outline came from?

There might be someplace but I'm not aware of a place to do a cavern dive in NC. You might think about Florida. Keep an eye on the spring reports because the flood has most places closed.

I know of a cavern instructor in Raleigh but he is PADI. The other "problem" with taking a class here reguardless of the instructor/agency is that there are no caverns in NC to do instruction in that I am aware of. That means you will have to go to Fla to do the diving anyway.

It's the instructor. It's the instructor. It's the instructor, not the agency. There are plenty of superb PADI instructors.
I'm not a PADI instructor, I'm SSI - but I know plenty of fine instructors who are PADI instructors.
Now, repeat after me, "It's the instructor, not the agency." I also know a few superb technical divers who hold instructor ratings, but whose instructional technique is positively awful.
Ask a cave diver who they'd send their daughter to for instruction...
Rick

Ummm, Rick if I sounded like I was trashing PADI, that was not my intent. This particular instructor is quite good, he was my cavern instructor. I just stated it that way due to gyselle specifically not wanting a PADI instructor. If that was for gyselle, never mind, I agree with you.

hi all,

the only reason why i specified i didnt want PADI because that seem like the only want to...ensure that i get a good training?

i know it sounds funny, and i do admit that that it really the instructor and not the agency, but i basically felt, that i want the "best" cavern training i could get. this is my personal opinion but i feel that because PADI, being PADI, is more, in tuned with recreational diving, that the cavern course they offer may not as in depth or detail as one offered by other agencies.

I honestly havent done by homework on which agency (and instructor) is better, that's why i'm asking around for opinions and recommendations.

I'm looking for someone who is able to provide me in-depth knowledge and experience in cavern course. something where i'm not ensure a straight certification (if i'm lousy, i want my certification withheld from me).

Cavern might seem easy to most, but for me, its a big step into eventual cave training and i'll like to get a good footing in it.

There are no caverns to do the training in NC that I know of.

I probably know the same PADI Cavern instructor in Raleigh - a great instructor, and full cave trained. Very methodical and conscientious guy, he'll definitely train you up right to dive the light zone. He will take you to Florida though, like anybody else, and he'll have to wait to take you, because the place is flooded. In fact, he works with a shop that runs occasional trips down there to do the class (makes it very easy for you) - if you want, drop me a note and I'll provide details.

That said, certainly wouldn't discourage you from finding a Cave instructor (look in Florida, not NC) to do your Cavern, it'll give you someone to go back to for Cave if you like them.

trheeltek once bubbled...

I probably know the same PADI Cavern instructor in Raleigh - a great instructor, and full cave trained.

The bearded pirate by any chance?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom