Looking for advice on Sharm

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

superhelix

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hello there,

I'm heading to Sharm-el-Sheikh on October 20th for a week (super excited!) on a solo trip and am looking for some advice about where to stay, who to dive with, where to dive, and what to do to at night.

I'm a certified divemaster with about 300 dives (lived in Koh Tao for a year back in 2002/3 - woot!) although I haven't been diving in about a year. I plan on spending my first day doing local dives, and then the next five days hitting the deeper dives. I'd love to get about 20 dives in over the course of the week.

I dive with a Halcyon backplate and wings, an APEKS ATX200 reg, and a Suunto Cobra, all of which I absolutely love and would highly recommend.

Any experienced divers out there currently working in SeS that has some tips for me? Also, I'm a single guy and any pointers on where other young lassies are at is much appreciated :) And if you're also traveling to SeS that week, would love to meet up as well.

Thanks!

Adam

20 dives in 6 days is too much according to Sharm's operation.

The boat sails in the morning and has to be back on the jetty before sunset. Normally you'll be able to do 3 dives per day but one of them won't be as good as the other two, as it will be in an easy site suitable for snorkeling and intro-dives. My recommendation is to go for 2 dives per day. And always choose the drift ones.

Nice gear setup :)

Adam, you will have a great time! I was there twice this summer and am thinking seriously about going back in December. I have stayed at two places in Naama Bay both on the beach (Sofitel and Hilton Fayrouz)- personally I liked Hilton better -more in the center of the bay - and if you want night life then I think Naama Bay is the most active but I too dived 3 times a day and it will be tiring. I dived with Divers International located out of the Sofitel and they were great however there are many other 5 star Padi centers highly recommended on this board. You will need to do a shore dive in any case with whomever you dive with to get the weights right for the higher salinity of the Red Sea- its the rule in Sharm. I can highly recommend Ras Mohammad, Tiran Straits and the wrecks Thistlegorm and Dunraven. You may want to get Nitrox certified while there if not already to dive the Thistlegorm. Currents are fierce in some spots so a good work out, but you will love it! Also FYI you can save some money by booking the diving in advance on line, so check out their web pages.

OK, I'll re-adjust my goal to getting in 12-15 dives *so excited!* and check out the Hilton Fayrouz in Naama Bay. Regarding the check dive, does that mean I will need to do my first day of dives locally?

Thanks for your help!

OK, I'll re-adjust my goal to getting in 12-15 dives *so excited!* and check out the Hilton Fayrouz in Naama Bay. Regarding the check dive, does that mean I will need to do my first day of dives locally?

Thanks for your help!

Yes, you will do the first dive locally but don't worry shore dives there will amaze you with what you can see. What wet suit do you plan on? I used a 5mm in June and it was just right. The water temps are lower - than for example the Caribbean.

Adam

Let us know how you get on pal. I've got a very similar background to you and am off to sharm at the end of the month

I too can't wait. Been putting my gear on in the lounge checking it out and looking cool, get some funny looks from people walking past!

Anyone know of good dive centre's that offer a decent deal for 10 dives and or a nitrox course?

I've booked through haystravel.co.uk. flight £200 and paid about the same for accom(bb royal plaza). they do cheaper but the reviews are shocking

D

Adam: I also did my DM at Koh Tao :) The Rock rules!

Dont worry about the local dives: They are good divesites!
I saw an eagle ray, local, and nothing special at Ras Moh... so u never know..

As for night life: Pacha (u know the european super-nightclub) has a branch in Sharm... American R'nB in the week ends (if u like that crap) or house on sundays/thursdays...

check it out at: pachasharm

Personally I enjoyed the roofbar at camel next door to Pacha more:
Camel Bar and The Roof - at Camel Hotel in Sharm El Sheikh

I was never there, but I think Buddha Bar should be good aswell.. It usually is in their other branches..

:: Littlebuddha :: Sharm El Sheikh

Ambience:
Many americans that study in Cairo come out to Dahab in their holidays... but for a week trip only and beeing so ambitious about diving as you are, I dont think you will have the time to check it out, allthough I found easier to travel singel in Dahab.... easier to connect with other traveleres as there are less holiday-package-tourists there compared to Sharm....But u never know: you might hook up with a bunch of girls travelling together, at least I did at the camel bar, it was cool :)

anyway for a week, you will have a smashing time!!

I'm going in January, please report when you get back. Looking for Dive Ops, and Accomodation tips. Thanks!

Adam: I also did my DM at Koh Tao :) The Rock rules!

Dont worry about the local dives: They are good divesites!
I saw an eagle ray, local, and nothing special at Ras Moh... so u never know..

As for night life: Pacha (u know the european super-nightclub) has a branch in Sharm... American R'nB in the week ends (if u like that crap) or house on sundays/thursdays...

check it out at: pachasharm

Personally I enjoyed the roofbar at camel next door to Pacha more:
Camel Bar and The Roof - at Camel Hotel in Sharm El Sheikh

I was never there, but I think Buddha Bar should be good aswell.. It usually is in their other branches..

:: Littlebuddha :: Sharm El Sheikh

Ambience:
Many americans that study in Cairo come out to Dahab in their holidays... but for a week trip only and beeing so ambitious about diving as you are, I dont think you will have the time to check it out, allthough I found easier to travel singel in Dahab.... easier to connect with other traveleres as there are less holiday-package-tourists there compared to Sharm....But u never know: you might hook up with a bunch of girls travelling together, at least I did at the camel bar, it was cool :)

anyway for a week, you will have a smashing time!!

I stayed at the Camel Hotel and dove with Ocean College Divers. The hotel is loud at night if you want to sleep, but if you want to party, the roof is awesome.
Later trips, stayed at the Hilton and parties on teh roof at the Camel hotel. The nightclub next to it is pretty wild too. I really liked Ocean College Divers. Class act.

YES! Little Buddha has fantastic food and atmosphere. The best Salmon I have Ever eaten anywhere in the world.

Be watchful of all the Russian women there this time of year. It can get confusing and, probably, expenisve for guys, if you know what I mean..... Not all, but a good number.

Back
Top Bottom