Something not sound right about this?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

TheAlmightyHubbard

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
A friend's friend I was talking to on Myspace since I saw he dives near my home town (Palm Beach, FL).

"
I usually dive off of ft. lauderdale. We keep our boat right by port everglades. I just took open water everything else i learned from my dad and his friends. The deep diving is awesome. I love it. It makes diving more exciting. I really dont want to go shallower then 160. I like feeling that narcosis. A perfect day is a dive over 200 then a reef dive. Pump me up with nitrogen. lol I just roam around of reef dives cuz im bored haha. Then I go home and im all relaxed and chill. Drink a few beers"

"
nitrox at that depth? haha no just regular pumped air. Nitrox is oxygen enriched, so u could dive a nitrox with 1% more oxygen then regular air. Bottom time is maybe 5-10 mins depending on the fill u got, current, and all that jazz. The deco time takes up most of it. lol I dive with a deco bottle, which is a pony tank filled with oxygen. I switch over at 30 ft. Breathing oxygen helps get the nitrogen out of your system, but u have to be careful not to start breathing it to deep. Diving deep u need to be on top of your game a lot of **** can go wrong and the narcosis doesnt help things haha. "

He's right. just the other day I saw where they are going to actually build a bridge to the moon. How can anyone take the rantings of my space morons seriously? Guy is obviously somebody who read a little something, then maybe smoked a little something, then his mom allowed him on the computer. What sounds off is that they let people like this out of their cages once in awhile. He's an idiot. Ignore him. His name would not be ChrisCrash, or hybrid diver, or one of the two "brothers" that just got kicked off here would it?

It could be true. I read a book written by someone who talks just like this. Talking to people in the dive community, the guy is known to many and does dive deep on air for the narc effect. His book goes on to talk about getting seriously bent and having more than one serious situation.

Your friend is either (a) telling the truth, (b) read the book and is pretending he is that guy or (c) totally making it up but know enough about diving to make plausible claims.

Knowing Nitrox would be toxic at those depths, that the dive will last 5 to 10 minutes and that breathing O2 at 30' will help off gassing shows he knows something.

Maybe I'm missing something, but where does he say he's using Nitrox (leaving aside everything elsefor the moment...)?

Maybe I'm missing something, but where does he say he's using Nitrox (leaving aside everything elsefor the moment...)?

The original poster, TheAlmightyHubbard, mentioned nitrox. The quote from the original message indicates that the diver in question does NOT use nitrox. I was pointing out that it adds some credibility that the diver knows NOT to use nitrox at those depths.

Sounds to me like someone who may have actually done it a time or two but is embellishing the story to make it sound like it's a routine thing. He has a crude yet reasonably accurate understanding that could be consistent with having "learned it from friends". Believe it or not, there are people out there like this.

Too funny!

I know this dude!

His real name is Murphy Darwin! :wink:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom