Suunto Mosquito Vs Gekko

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

sammyau

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Dear All

I would to have a computer, Any comment for Suunto Mosquito Vs Gekko :confused:

Thanks
Sammy

Is there a reason why you are interested in those two models? The mosquito is no longer in production, although you can still find them for sale

What type of diving do you intend doing in the future? What is your budget?

You can find a comparison of the two model's features on the suunto website:

Suunto

They're both good basic recreational computers

Aeris NRX1. It's simpler (one button only) and light years ahead. As Tortuga says, they don't make the Mosquito anymore and the Gekko is becoming outdated pretty quickly.

I see from your profile that you are using pretty top end equipment as far as your regs go. That's very wise. Getting the best computer you can is also a wise decision. Good regs and a good computer are your two key life support systems underwater.

Why not go a little more upmarket and look at a D4/D6 if you really like Suunto or an Oceanic Geo/Aeris Manta?

Aeris NRX1. It's simpler (one button only) and light years ahead. As Tortuga says, they don't make the Mosquito anymore and the Gekko is becoming outdated pretty quickly.

I see from your profile that you are using pretty top end equipment as far as your regs go. That's very wise. Getting the best computer you can is also a wise decision. Good regs and a good computer are your two key life support systems underwater.

Why not go a little more upmarket and look at a D4/D6 if you really like Suunto or an Oceanic Geo/Aeris Manta?

Just to play devil's advocate, in what way is the Gekko outdated?

We haven't yet heard what the OP's diving goals are, so it's hard to discount the Suunto Gekko. The Gekko is still an outstanding computer for the typical recreational diver. For that purpose the only useful feature it lacks is computer downloading. (I consider holeless integration unnecessary; buddy monitoring doublely so.) As I'm making a gradual transition into technical diving (cave diving), the main thing that it lacked was a gauge mode. Also, it doesn't do deep stops, but for rec diving that's really not too significant, just hold a minute at half your max depth.

For the record, I own a Suunto Mosquito (my first computer, which has served me very well) and a Suunto Vyper 2 (gauge mode, two gasses and compass). I recently recommended the Gekko to a friend and she is very happy with it.

One feature I actually prefer on the Gekko is the fluoresecent display. I find it a PITA to push a button to turn on a backlight at night, especially with a light in one hand. And if instead you try to use said light to read the computer, it washes out the display. With the Gekko, you just shine you light on it briefly and then you have plenty of glow time to check it out. So simple...

If you're looking for a full-feature, well-priced computer, you might also want to consider the Cressi-Sub line.

Good luck!

Bob

I would to have a computer, Any comment for Suunto Mosquito Vs Gekko :confused:

I'd say Mosquito is a Stinger in plastic, Gekko is a Vyper minus PC interface.
Both are nitrox capable, but if you want to download your dive profile, Mosquito is your only choice.

Aeris XR-1 Nx:
Only ONE button.

The battery is user changable with "Hot Swap". It uses a common watch battery (CR2450). Exteremely easy to use and get your dives out of the logbook, as opposed to the Gekko, which IMHO is a pain.

Color-coded bar graphs: grey, yellow and red. These graphs monitor nitrogen accumulation and your personal ascent rate. Pixels build up in each of these color-coded areas to give you a quick, easy reference of these parameters. Proper monitoring of these graphs allows you to select the personal degree of conservatism you wish to build into each dive, putting you in control of your margin of safety.

Safety stop count-down timer.

There is nothing WRONG with the GEKKO. it's just an older and less user friendly design. I am sure Suunto has plans to replace it or update it soon just as they have done with their top of the line products which are excellent and state of the art.

The Gekko is downloadable. A mod that takes a few seconds, and you can have a Vyper.

Just an FYI. :D

Howdy...

Funny you should ask about those two particular computers. I have a Gekko, and my dive buddy has a Mosquito. One of my criteria for the value of a given piece of gear is how often I think about it. I never think about my Gekko. It does exactly what I need it to with no fuss. I love the thing.
My dive buddy, on the other hand, is in the market for a new computer. I'm sure there are people out there who love their Mosquitoes, but my buddy isn't one of 'em. I have no personal experience with the Mosquito though.
I did a search on SB when shopping for my comp, and I found that the majority of people with Gekkos were really happy with them. I'm now one of them.

Good luck!

Joel

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom