Ear Trouble Help!!!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mckinness

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Been diving for a year and have had some trouble with clearing ears. Also got a nasty ear infection! Now using post ear rinse. I have an appointment with an ENT. Do the Ear plugs really work? Is their a better product or a list of products I should try. Is there any advise you can give a rookie diver! Thanks

NOT A RECCOMENDATION:

I used to have ear problems, and then I went on a dive to 100 ft. and now I do not. something "popped" and everything clears with ease. my hearing has been checked and I am still above average, maybe I had supper hearing before but I never had it checked before so I will never know but the military checked it after and it is fine.

I use 75% water 25% alchohol after a dive keeps the bacteria to a min.

I had some trouble for a while and went to an ENT that is a diver. He put a camera down my nose/throat and watched when I equalized. It helped me to understand what was going on in there better. But, he gave me a nasal spray to use the day before and morning of diving. Also, have a decongestant to take if needed the day before and morning of. Has worked great for me...The ear solution after the dive is a great thing to avoid post dive infections. But, my ENT did warn me about the danger of over cleaning the ears.

Been diving for a year and have had some trouble with clearing ears. Also got a nasty ear infection! Now using post ear rinse. I have an appointment with an ENT. Do the Ear plugs really work? Is their a better product or a list of products I should try. Is there any advise you can give a rookie diver! Thanks

I too had trouble clearing my ears. I went to DAN, who sent me to an ENT. He checked me out, told me that all was ok, and suggested that I use AFRIN before I dive. Worked like a charm.

Doc's Pro Plugs do work. I and many other people I know either use them, or have used them. Haven't looked recently but there used to be a discussion about them on the DAN site. Maybe on ScubaDoc too, but I'm not sure.

The diving plugs have small holes in them so they are safe to use. For me the effect is to keep the ear warm and slow down pressure changes. So, I routinely use them in cold water and not so often in warm.

They are cheap so experimenting isn't going to cost much and the only way you will know if they are effective for you is to try them.

You might also do a search on TS&M's posts. She has a reference to a wonderful video on clearing that, in my opinion, everyone should watch and learn from.

For one thing try to descend feet first, also try equalizing every two to three feet as you descend, also make sure you turn your head with your ear towards the surface as you might have trapped some air in the ear on the way from the surface down. These type of actions may really help someone who is having trouble clearing, it helps me as I've had a number of dives that it has seemed harder to clear than others. Some take over the counter drugs too. I would not ever suggest Afrin to someone as my brother is a physician and says it can very easily become addictive and there can be a reverse block latter.

make sure you turn your head with your ear towards the surface as you might have trapped some air in the ear on the way from the surface down.

This is not necessary. Air is COMpressing on descent, therefore there is no need to encourage any venting. On AScent, the air in the external auditory canal can easily expand and exit.

People get very confused about the difference between the middle and external ear. I highly recommend watching THIS video in order to get better educated about the anatomy and physiology of the ear while diving.

Problems equalizing frequently result in muffled hearing, dull pain, crackling sounds, and an appearance of the eardrum that, in people who DON'T dive, is only seen with middle ear infections. However, barotrauma from poor equalization rarely results in infection, and when it does, it's a delayed phenomenon. It is my belief (without any studies to confirm it) that new divers often go to their FP because of ear complaints, and are diagnosed with an "ear infection" because of the redness of the drum and the fluid behind it. This is probably almost always just barotrauma.

On the other hand, infections of the EXTERNAL auditory canal are common in divers. This are generally manifested by significant pain, especially pain when the ear is moved. Sometimes the swelling of the canal can even be seen without any instruments. This type of infection is due to maceration of the skin lining the canal because of prolonged wetness. It can be prevented by eardrops (there's a lot of discussion of what type is best) or other measures to dry the canal post-dive. It is treated with antibiotic eardrops.

Some people apparently are unable to learn to equalize well without the aid of some type of decongestant. It is important to realize that using decongestants to dive increases your risk of serious ear problems, because if the medications wear off underwater, you can develop a reverse block, which can result in eardrum rupture on ascent. However, long-acting medications such as controlled-release Sudafed and Afrin are unlikely to wear off during a single dive, or two. Afrin must be used with caution, because there is a rebound effect, and dependency on the drug is possible, but again, this is generally not an issue with sporadic use, especially if you stay within or below recommended dosage. Users of Sudafed and Nitrox should be aware that there is some anecdotal evidence that it may potentiate oxygen toxicity.

If someone is having persistent ear problems while diving, the first thing is to look carefully at their equalization technique -- How are they doing it, and how often? -- and then probably to visit an ENT doc and see if there are any identifiable problems that need to be addressed to make equalization easier.

I missed a couple days of diving last winter in Roatan due to plugged ears. I had bad heart burn the entire trip, probably from eating dinner at 8:30 and sleeping flat at 9:00. This past summer my ears were great. I'm now on Prilosec, and never eat or drink anything a couple of hours before going to bed. I also bought a reflux bed wedge. This past summer my ears have been great. Now all I have to do is tip my head back and think about clearing. I just bought an inflatable bed wedge, 28 oz and plan on taking on my next dive trip.
I've watched and waited while other divers were having trouble clearing and I've notice once divers are strugglig to clear they will lower their chin toward their chest, maybe out of frustation and then try to clear. I doesn't work. You need to tip your head back to straighten out eustacion tube.

The IST Pro Ear Mask is the sollution!
The mask covers the ears as well as the eyes and nose - thus keeping your ears dry.
It was made by select diving experts and doctors; so is "medically fit" for a divers needs.

They have great reviews.... check them out!
SEARCH: IST PRO EAR MASK
They should be around Ž£50 or $110.

Happy diving!
Matt.

ps.- Message me if you have any more questions about the mask.

I am a very new diver, so take this accordingly:

I had a very hard time equalizing at first. Then, a month before my second dive trip, the dive shop owner made two suggestions. The first I think is useful. I am very skeptical of the second:

1. "Exercise" the Eustachian tubes by equalizing the ears several times every day for a month before your trip. This (he said) will stretch them out, making equalization progressively easier. I've been doing this.

2. Take ginseng capsules. I've been doing this, because I don't think it can hurt, but I really doubt it helps. (My doctor agrees with this assessment.)

On the second trip, after following the above, I had no trouble equalizing. Instead of being the last one to the bottom, I found myself on the bottom waiting for most of the others. (Nice time to relax, slow my breathing, and play with my buoyancy.)

My last day, instead of scuba diving, I snorkeled, and did some free diving, I found that by equalizing continuously, one long blow, I was able to get down deeper than I'd ever done free diving. So that might also be something to try while scuba diving.

On this last trip I also used ear drying drops, and they seemed to help prevent the discomfort I'd previously felt after diving.

Daniel

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom