Buying a diving regulator

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
So I have been trying to do some basic research about diving regulators. A little about me, i am 20 years old and have been diving since i was 15. I have done some where around 40-50 dives. I currently am a student and go to school in Boston. My home is in florida. Every time I go home, few times a year I go diving, on average 2 sets of 2 dives a year. I would like to start to buy my own gear slowly over time. I figure the first place to start is my own regulator.

I wanted to know if anyone can start me in the right direction for the right regulator to buy. Since I plan on keeping it for a few years. I want a regulator that is Nitrox compatible and is designed more for warm water than cold. I don't mind spending some money on this since i am planing on keeping it for many years.

Thanks in advance
Matthew K.

So I have been trying to do some basic research about diving regulators. A little about me, i am 20 years old and have been diving since i was 15. I have done some where around 40-50 dives. I currently am a student and go to school in Boston. My home is in florida. Every time I go home, few times a year I go diving, on average 2 sets of 2 dives a year. I would like to start to buy my own gear slowly over time. I figure the first place to start is my own regulator.

I wanted to know if anyone can start me in the right direction for the right regulator to buy. Since I plan on keeping it for a few years. I want a regulator that is Nitrox compatible and is designed more for warm water than cold. I don't mind spending some money on this since i am planing on keeping it for many years.

Thanks in advance
Matthew K.

Keep in mind that if you buy a regualtor that performs well in cold water (i.e. New England) it will also work great in warm water. The reverse it not necessarily true.

Welcome to the 'Board, Matthew! First, most regulators are "Nitrox compatible". Even though some might tell you they aren't, the issue is with mixes over 40%, which you'll likely never expose your primary reg to. ronbeau is right, if it's good in cold water, it's fine in warm water. The most common difference in cold water v. warm water regs is the intermediate pressure anyway. Some have different types of environmental sealing as well.

My suggestion for a reg is to get one that's easily serviced. Personally, I like regs I can service myself. That means I need regs I can buy service kits for. There aren't many out there like that, but a couple that come to mind are Dive Rite and Oxycheq. Service kits are available for both. I'm not suggesting you service your regs, but you may want to eventually do that and it will be easier if you have your own regs. Take a look at my LDS (in my sig line). They sell both DR and OC for great prices and have some great package deals. They're also located in Florida. And October is free Octo month!

If you are only diving 4 times a year, I am unsure of why you want to buy equipment. It takes pretty frequent divign to justify the cost of buying and maintaining equipment.

I like my Atomic regulators too, but there are cheaper choices that would suit the needs of a 20-year-old student who does 4 dives a year just as well. Unless he has a hefty trust fund--then Atomic is the brand.

I would get a Zeagle DS-V, because I did, and because it's good for cold water (Boston) and warm water. You also would get free parts for life, or available service kits should you decide to service it yourself. Try Scubatoys.com .

My regs cost me $75 to get serviced. Even if you strech the interval out to 2 years, it seems like renting is a lot cheaper. Personally, I would make sure I had good personal gear (mask, fins) and then maybe invest in a modest dive computer. Since computers do take some time to learn I would want my own if possible rather then relearning rentals.. Regulators on the othe hand pretty much work the same in warm water / modest depths.

Matthew, to cut to the chase.
1. Welcome to the Board!
2. You want to get a reg that serves you in both warm and cold water. As stated a cold water reg works fine in warm water.
3. You want to get a reg that you can get easily serviced. I don't recommend you start servicing your own regs until you have a 100+ dives under your belt. (You don't need to be a mechanic to service a car).
4. Stay away from "fringe brands" because they will be more difficult to find servicing for.
5. Invest all the money you can, this will be the best diving investment along with your computer you ever make. That's why it's called a "life support system.

Which brands/models?

AQUALUNG(Legend or Mikron), SCUBAPRO(plenty of choice here), OCEANIC/AERIS(Delta 4/Ion) , ZEAGLE(Flathead). If you are going to travel abroad significantly, stick to the first two.

Make sure you have an environmentally sealed membrane (as opposed to piston) first stage (for cold water usage) and if you can afford an ACD/DVT function get that too.

I would avoid too many knobs, bells and whistles on the second stage. If the reg does it's work properly it will give you plenty of air at any depth.

Make sure the octo is as good as the PSS.

Where are you going to buy it from in Florida? Out of what I've suggested here go to the place you are going to buy and ask their advice. Make sure hey are cerified servicers of the brand they are going to sell you.

Hope this helps.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom