Suunto Gekko and other low cost computers

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

diveandclimb

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
One of my dive buddies is offering to sell me an almost new Suunto Gekko for $160. Is this a good deal and does anybody have any thoughts on the Gekko in general. This is my first dive computer purchase and I am going to get a wrist mount. I am also looking at the Oceanic Veo100, the Cressi Archimedes, Genesis Resource, Aeris XR1, and Mares M2 all used or heavily discounted. I think that Nitrox would be nice but there aren't really any convenient places to get EAN fills around where I live/dive and so getting a nitrox cert is likely a few years off. I really like the DSS bungied mounts you can get for the Gekko and Archimedes and their bigger screens so that is in their favor over the other cheaper puck style computers but I have rented a Veo100 a few times and liked it. Anyway, any advice would be appreciated.

$160 is about half of retail. $100 off the sale prices you see many places.

The Gekko is a great first computer, and it does have the Nitrox, should you ever go that way.

It can also be made to download, if that's an important option for you.

Based on the diving you describe, I don't think you can wrong for that price - I'd consider it a pretty good deal if I was in your shoes

sounds like a good price for a good computer. In your shoes I'd go for it. And it's good to have Nitrox capable even if you think it will be a few years till you use it, since the computer should last for many more years. Also good to have if you decided to resell the computer at some point.

I think that Nitrox would be nice but there aren't really any convenient places to get EAN fills around where I live/dive and so getting a nitrox cert is likely a few years off

BTW, you can get an EAN cert without doing any dives; it's an interesting way to increase your knowledge of diving and may pique your interest in exploring more technical types of diving; I would recommened it regardless, if it's in your budget

BTW, you can get an EAN cert without doing any dives; it's an interesting way to increase your knowledge of diving and may pique your interest in exploring more technical types of diving; I would recommened it regardless, if it's in your budget
I plan to in the next year or so, I'm just not making it my priority due to the reletive inavailability of EAN in my area.

Is the Gekko bigger than a standard puck?

I am planning to buy one and fit it into a Oceanic console... would it fit?

Is there any standard measure?... Just in case I don't buy the Gekko, are most computers of the same size? (I dont want to change my console) :)

Thanks!!!

Is the Gekko bigger than a standard puck?

I am planning to buy one and fit it into a Oceanic console... would it fit?

Is there any standard measure?... Just in case I don't buy the Gekko, are most computers of the same size? (I dont want to change my console) :)

Thanks!!!
This is from the manual:

Dimensions and weight:
- Diameter: 61mm [2.4in].
- Thickness: 28mm [1.1in].

As mentioned before, the Gekko is a great first computer. I was turned onto Suunto as well but ended up with the Vyper2. You did mention the Aeris XR1 as well which a friend of mine uses and he likes a lot.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom