No NAUI in Alaska?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

NudeDiver

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I heard NAUI pulled out of Alaska due to legal/liability/legal-climate reasons. Is this true? Does anyone have the scoop or references on this?

About 9 years ago, SSI and NAUI were using the same underwriters for their insurance. The U/W decided that AK was too much of a risk and stopped insuring shops and instructors in AK. This left alot of people/shops out in the cold scrambling to find another training agency that they could get insurance through.

I don't know what the current status is. I do know that there are a few independent Naui instructors around.

Dave

Hmm...but what its it about Alaska that makes it deemed to be so horrible to insure? Surely it can't just be cold water - there is cold water in lots of places.

Has something to do with the way the courts work, and the size of or potential size of the awards in the loss of a lawsuit. Of course, the added risk(s) associated with our environment I'm sure plays a part as well.

I'm not sure if this is all still the case anymore or not, it's just what originally happened. I was all set to take an SSI IDC and only got word of this through a rumor at the time. I'm glad I did otherwise, I would have been out cold as some others were when it happened.

NAUI's web site lists two ITs in Alaska.

I only see one - Allen in Ketch owns a PADI shop, The only other instructor I see is Rob in Juneau, he's an independent and also a TDI Instructor.

Allen is also a NAUI IT, so is Rob (whatever else they do).

Allen is also a NAUI IT, so is Rob (whatever else they do).

Allen is an IT yes,

Rob is NOT an IT, I know him very well and he's a Naui Instructor and a Naui Tech instructor but he is most definitely not an IT. I hold c-cards with his name on them so I would think I would know. Naui's site list him as a "tech instructor"

To my knowledge to only way for a Naui Instructor (at any level) to teach in Alaska is to be insured through someone other than Naui.

DM

I know Allen who is an instructor and his wife Saunya is Alaska's first female Naui Instructor. They have told me the only way to teach Naui in alaska is to be covered under another agencies insurance.

I find it interesting that Naui only lists Instructor Trainers on their website and not all of the instructors.

Allen & Saunya teach both Naui & Padi and I will be taking my Naui Tech with Allen in the coming year.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom