Mako batteries and charger in Mexico

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
Howdy,

Just got myself into a Mako rebuilt project. One task is to get new batteries and a charger for these. Thing is, I live in Mexico, and in order to avoid expensive shipping of relatively heavy parts (at least the batteries that is), I´m looking to find a domestic provider. So far without any success.

Would anyone know where to get these kind of parts in Mexico? Any feedback would be appreciated.

Saludos,

Pal

You don't need special batteries or chargers. You can use any 12 volt battery, sealed gell cell type lead acid and suitable 24 volt charger from a marine store. Google is your friend.

N

Thanks for replies. Did eventually find a Powersonic distributor in Monterrey:

batterymaster.com

They offer the PS-12180 for 636 mexican pesos.

Any thoughts on amperage on the charger? Is 4 amps the preferred choice?

Saludos,

2 x 12 volt 18-22 amp not ANY 12volt !

Duh, I use two wheelchair batteries from Interstate, cost was 34 dollars each on sale. I will repeat, any batteries as I described that fit the dimensional requirements can be used.

The charger I use is a 24V Deltran Battery Tender/Charger. The output is 2.5 Amps at 24V. It charges the two 18 amp batteries nicely overnight. It is not a fast charger. Model number is 24V-PTP, part number 022-0158-1.

I also have a rewired Tekna multi charger that is in a second melt down and I am currently rewiring it yet again. I have better success with the Deltran charger.

N

Thanks for replies. Did eventually find a Powersonic distributor in Monterrey:

batterymaster.com

They offer the PS-12180 for 636 mexican pesos.

Any thoughts on amperage on the charger? Is 4 amps the preferred choice?

Saludos,

While those batteries can tolerate higher amperage charging (up to 7amps I recall) 4 is a decent compromise between charging time and cost. Slower, in the 2.5 to 4 amp range, will help keep the batteries from getting hot. Overheating them either during charging or in storage (e.g. closed car trunk) will kill them.

Last edited:
The charger I use is I think constant voltage, therefore the charge rate varies. Since it is 2.5 Amp at 24V when the batteries are at a lower state the amperage is higher. That seems to be what I observe with this outfit. There is a "smart" chip in the charger however that determines all of that and decides when a charge is complete, tapers off and then goes into trickle mode. It is adequate for overnight or a top off, for a full charge from near dead you will need a good, long, overnight charge session. For fast charging you will need a stronger charger.

N

Back
Top Bottom