pioneer or exporer?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

steel

Reaction score
ok, now i got some money and ready to spend them.
i've even figured what i basically need.
but still i'm hesitating: the pioneer is for singles only and it's 555$, explorer for doubles and i guess if i use an adapter i can dive with singels as well, it's 457. Why should i spend 100$ more on the first, when i'm getting gear for singles and doubles for less? Or there's smth i don't know about?
and one more thing, if someone has tried outdoors matrix - would you advise me to try it or should i stick to good ol' brands, like halc or DR?

thanks a lot.

I would recommend getting both wings. Diving the explorer with an STA would be a bit ungainly. If you are primarily diving singles right now, get the Pioneer system and then when you get ready to dive doubles, just buy the explorer wing.

crazyc

The explorer is way too big for a single tank. It wraps around the tank and the air causes it to lift right up. If you only dive single occasionally you can get away with it but it is not ideal for regular use.

the pioneer is for singles only and it's 555$, explorer for doubles and i guess if i use an adapter i can dive with singels as well, it's 457
The "singles" unit has the storage/back pad and the cam bands included.
I like the 27 and 36 for the full circle wing vrs the horseshoe design. just a slight roll, while remaining horizontal, and the air will equalize and level you out.
Keep in mind once you save that 100 bucks or so, you still have the added cost of the doubles.....added tank,manifold,bands, and (additional regs if diving redundant)
You can always start with a small set of doubles later, adding the explorer wing. DR makes good gear and DO has fairly good looking quality. I have the DO 40 wing, but I am going to trade it back in for another Halcyon 36, get a DR alum. B/P and harness for the double 72s I have.
Check the threads on B/Ps..... I like Fred Ts B/Ps, bought the wife his "shorty SS" and it's top notch quality.

dive safe,
tony

i was wondering if explorer with single tank acts as any zeagle or seaquest wing jackets with singles.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom