Tank Weights

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

a lot would depend on what kind of diving you do.

if you normally dive with only 4 lbs on your belt with a bouyant 80cf tank, then you may be able to get away with it.

If you dive where you need to wear things like a wetsuit, or drysuit, then you are still going to need a belt, or wieght integrated BC.

all this product does is to compensate for the bouyant characteristics of the standard aluminum 80. If you already have your tanks, then this product is a good idea, if not, just spend the extra money and buy tanks that are neutrally bouyant (or even slightly heavy) :wink:

JMHO

That depends on how much weight you normally wear and how much this weight weighs.

I would also be concerned about it staying on. An adhesive would be in order, but nothing that won't come off easily at inspection time.

Skip it...

Often a diver needs a little weight higher up. the Tottom of the tank is usually the last place you need weight especially as low as some wear their tanks. I thread a couple of hard two pounders onto the either side of the tank on the upper cam band and push them as close to my back as I can get them. there are wrap around tank weights available that you can place anywhere on the tank. In addition there are a number of keel weights available. As long as you don't need much weight on the tank I don't think any of them work as well as my hard weights on the cam band.

IMO, this product will help to keep everyone standing up so they can walk better under water.

Besides, I don't use a boot.

I would expect most people who want to weight their tank want to do it for trim purposes not to substitute for a ditchable weight belt. And I agree, I think putting the weight at the bottom of the tank is probably not where most people are going to want it for trim purposes.

Back
Top Bottom