Funding for divemaster course

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Jared2223

Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Iam suppossed to go down to key largo in Feb. to complete training thru divemaster and work down there at Horizon Divers. Iam just out of highschool so i dont have alot of cash. We figured out itd be around $1500 for equipment and another $1500 for training. i also have to find a place to stay and pay rent which im finding out is pretty high down there. What i was wondering is there any kind of career developing loans i can get or a special kind of grant? i dont know much bout either. id appreciate all suggestions

Jared,

Sorry some chose to laugh at your predicament . . . .
. . . I'm getting old and long in the tooth, but I can remember my early years quite vividly being in the same position in which you now find yourself.

I'm not aware of any funding for obtaining one's divemaster certification.

By and large, scubadiving is considered a recreational hobby and not an educational pursuit.

The GI Bill does reimburse veterans for the cost of their IE fees, but that's the only one of which I am aware.

This is one of those things if life that requires determination, dedication, desire and a goal.

If you truly want it . . . you will find a way.

Best of luck in your endeavours . . .

the K

Sea2Summit, can you shed some light on your response? We have a new member, just as I am, who had a legitimate question. Diving for me is a hobby, just as skiing is in the winter. Jared has a goal that he would like to reach, and I commend him for seeking the advice of other dive enthusiasts.

I agree with sea2summit
Call around to different dive shops/resorts and ask if they have any openings for a DM, and if so what is the pay and how many hours a week can you expect to work. If you don't mind living in a box or a shack behind the dive shop and drink tap water and walk to work, you should be fine.

Then do the same again and this time pretend you are a dive instructor. Ask what the pay scale is for instructors, how often they have a class, if you have to pay for the DM out of your own pocket....

basically do it for the love, not the money.

Consider changing your plans to take the DM course in Utila or Roatan; they're both common destinations for taking the DM course on a budget. When I did mine in Roatan, many of the DMTs on the island had very limited equipment, they could stay in a dorm owned by the dive op (coconut tree divers) for $5/night, and the course cost was $600 plus another $150 or so for materials.

Some of the DMTs moonlighted as waiters and/or bartenders in the evenings to raise a little cash. Occasionally they looked pretty green on those early morning dives!

I would not borrow money to do your dive training until you get to the IDC, which is more expensive. You won't make any money in the dive industry until you complete the instructor course. If you enjoy learning to dive, and make it through all the other courses (OW, AOW, rescue, and DM) plus complete the requisite number of dives (100, maybe?) to get to the IDC on your own dime, you've demonstrated good dedication and resourcefulness. At that time, one you've established your ability to stick with it, maybe it would be appropriate to go into a little debt to complete the IDC which will allow you to make back some of the money. (Not much, though)

Have fun!

Is Horizon Divers giving you a discount for your work at their shop?

If you could do it sooner, I'd love to do your courses through divemaster as I'm an MSDT and am always looking to certify more divemasters. What certifications do you have already?

I only laugh so hard because I've been an indentured servant to two dive shops now (had to move away from first one for my real job). It's something I never really expect to make money from but it sure helps offset the cost of dive gear. For a college/highschool type...I wish I would have thought of that for my summer jobs.
Best of luck.

You won't make any money in the dive industry until you complete the instructor course.

I do not agree, it depends on how good you are at being a DM, I made nice money.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom