Looking for some info on Hawaii (and advice!)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Katamuki

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
I have the option of moving to Hawaii (Oahu) next year and have been looking for info on the web. From all that I have been looking at the most concerning thing is how my 8th and 9th grade sons will fit into the area.

My wife grew up in Mililani and after graduating from Mid-Pac left Hawaii and while we have visisted a number of times over the years we have never lived there since then. She is interested in returning to Hawaii and has a job prospect at this time.

I live on a little island alot smaller than any in Hawaii right now and a lot farther east so the idea of an island is nothing too strange for us. The cost of living in Hawaii is also something I am used to as well. Any opinions on life and family would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks

Since you know what to expect re the cost of living and living on an island, it sounds like the main thing is to figure out where to live and where your kids are going to school.

You'll need to decide whether you want your kids to go to private or public school. Where you live decides which public school your kids will attend, though there's some kind of exemption thing that allows you to send your kid to a school in another district - but I'm not familiar with that.

Not sure if your kids are in 8th and 9th grade this year, or will be in those grades next year. The last year with a larger amount of spaces available for new students in private schools is usually 9th grade. The more spaces available, the better chance your kid has in being accepted. There will be spaces available for new students in the 10-12th grades, but just not as many.

If you are looking for your kids to start at the beginning of the 2009-2010 school year, applications for private schools are available now, and are due around the beginning of December. If you want to transfer them in mid-year, you need to contact the admissions office of the schools directly.

Does your wife still have family here? If she does, then it's pretty much just like returning home, rather than starting completely fresh.

Thanks for the info Chepar. Her family has moved away although she still has some friends in the area I believe. My two kids will start the 8th and 9th grades next school year. I had heard a number of horror stories from a number of different sources including the Honolulu news paper and am a bit concerned with the school system. Private school is a possibility but unfortunately seems quite expensive with two kids.

Any info on what to expect for generic family life? Also, how hard is it as far as diving? Is access to the ocean easy?

I would also be concerned about the public school system here. Some schools are better than others, and if you are going to go the public school route, I would pay attention to where you live and what school district you are in. As I mentioned previously, there are district exemptions available, but lots of people try to get their kids into the "better" schools and I would think it's rather tough to get the exemption.

I've also heard of people who want their kids to go to a certain school, don't physically live in the district and can't get an exemption. They have a relative who lives in the area, so in order to "prove" they live in the area, take over a utility bill so their kid can attend the school in that district. So you should do some research into which schools fall in which areas.

Your 9th grader would probably have an easier time integrating into school than the
8th grader. Depending on the district, there may be a students from a couple of intermediate schools merging into one high school, so there is a bit of everyone getting to know each other. The 8th grade has kids who've been together for several years, so it might be a little harder.

If you are able to get your kids into one of the better school districts and they are driven students, I believe they can get a quality education. You might just have to work a little harder to ensure that they do.

There are many private school options here and they range in cost from roughly $6,000 per year up to over $15,000 per year. While the cost of private school is daunting, many of the schools offer financial aid. Older kids may be required to work some hours during the week in the office or something in exchange for the aid.

As far as regular life, it's pretty laid back here. You're familiar with island life, so the laid back attitude shouldn't be much of a surprise. If your kids get involved in sports or other such activities, I think you'll find that other families are welcoming and friendly. A lot of family activities focus on outdoor pursuits - surfing, swimming, fishing, organized soccer and baseball leagues, etc.

I think from any neighborhood on the island the ocean is at the most a 20-30 minute drive away. Hawaii is real big on beach access, so you have a lot of options in deciding which beach you want to go to. Diving is pretty easy here, both with shore and boat dive options.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom