Marine archeology

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jbd

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
Does anyone know of any good books on this topic?

Check out "Submerged" by Daniel Lenihan. It's about the National Parks Service's Submerged Cultural Resources Unit. It's a really great book. He tried to dramatize everything but at least his style is engaging. I really enjoyed it. He covers a lot of ground in US history.

These are a few from my bookcase:

Ships and Shipwrecks of the Americas Edited by George F Bass. This has a great article on the Red Bay Wrecks discovered just of Newfoundland. The discovery and documentation was a project undertaken by Parks Canada.

Archaeology Underwater - The NAS Guide to Principles and Practice - Nautical Archaeology Society

Archaeology and the Social History of Ships - Richard A Gould

Encyclopedia of Underwater and Maritime Archaeology - Edited by james P Delgado

I do have a few more, but I think those are the best of my collection.

and the listing of the books.

BTW DG did you buy the NAS guide to principles and practices locally? There were some books listed on the website that OD provided but the prices were in pounds and I would imagine the shipping might be costly. There was no price listed for the NAS book though.

JBD -- Actually I got the book from a source in the USA!!!! It took me awhile, but I was able to track down a source. It was like a detective story, one source put be onto another, who put me onto another.... etc, etc I'm now tracking down to who I actually got the book from. I do remember USA, but I also remember unfortunately they only a "few" copies remaining, and I did mention it to the NAS course I helped out on... oops. When I find the info I will post it here -- and sent you an PM.

Well I got a number of questions about this ... so to tell the tale briefley:
  • located near Penny and Saddle Island. Close to Saddle Island
  • wreck is a "Basque" ship -- built in 1500 (or so)
  • ship believed to be the San Juan
  • investigation 8+ years
  • result of investigation: 3 masted ship close to 250 tons, three full decks, 2.2 m long, 7.5 m in breath.
  • vessle used in the whaling industry
  • waters were often below 0C which although provided excellent visability, divers were in hot-water suits (supplied from the surface).
  • model of wreck produced by Parks Canada (photo in the book, I've seen the model and it's outstanding)

From the book:
Recent documentary evidence indicates that the waters around Newfoundland and the Gulf of St Lawrence were host to more ships and to a larger tonnage in the sixteenth century than the waters of the West Indeies and the Gulf of Mexico.

There is something to be said about cold and fresh water.... it preserves wrecks.

FYI, some of the other articles detailed in this book about ships and shipwrecks in the Americas:
- Earliest Watercraft from rafts to Viking ships
- Vogages of Columbus
- Shipwrecks of the Explorers
- Red Bay Wreck
- Treasure Ships of the Spanish Main
- The War of 1812 - Battle for the Great Lakes.....

I recommend "The Underwater Dig: An Introduction to Marine Archaeology" by Robert Marx as a good primer on the subject.

Dr. Bob Ballard's books make a good read too, as he's a bit of a showman in addition to being a scientist and explorer.

for the reccomendations. I'll check with B&N and see if they can get it for me.

Back
Top Bottom