Questionable conditions on Sunday - what would you recommend?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Lursxt

Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hi guys,
I'm looking at the marine forecast for Sunday:
SUN
N WINDS 20 TO 25 KT WITH GUSTS UP TO 30 KT... DIMINISHING
TO 15 TO 20 KT WITH GUSTS UP TO 25 KT IN THE LATE MORNING AND
EARLY AFTERNOON...THEN BECOMING NE 10 TO 20 KT EARLY IN THE
AFTERNOON. SEAS 5 TO 8 FT.​

I was initially planning on shore diving cape ann. Given the forecasted conditions, where on cape ann (or elsewhere in NE) would you dive?

Trouble is, the seas on the previous few days will make for lousy vis pretty much everywhere near shore. Niles Beach in Gloucester may be your best bet.

My best bet is a nice, calm and clear nearby lake. It will be beautiful that day. :D

Dave C
THIS AFTERNOON
N WINDS 10 TO 15 KT. GUSTS UP TO 20 KT EARLY.
SEAS 3 TO 5 FT.

TONIGHT
N WINDS 10 TO 15 KT. GUSTS UP TO 20 KT IN THE LATE
EVENING AND OVERNIGHT. SEAS 3 TO 5 FT.

SAT
NE WINDS 10 TO 15 KT WITH GUSTS UP TO 20 KT. SEAS 2 TO
4 FT.

SAT NIGHT
NE WINDS 15 TO 20 KT...BECOMING N 20 TO 25 KT AFTER
MIDNIGHT. GUSTS UP TO 30 KT. SEAS 3 TO 5 FT...BUILDING TO 4 TO
7 FT AFTER MIDNIGHT.

SUN
AFTERNOON. SEAS 5 TO 8 FT.

Hi guys,
I'm looking at the marine forecast for Sunday:
SUN
AFTERNOON. SEAS 5 TO 8 FT.​

I was initially planning on shore diving cape ann. Given the forecasted conditions, where on cape ann (or elsewhere in NE) would you dive?

My first option would be a pool... Indoors :)

Barring that, you "might" be able to get in at Loblolly with winds out of the north. At 25 knots though, you'd be better off to finish up those projects around the house that you've meaning to get to. Either that or drive up to Cape Ann, circle the Blackburn rotary a few times and head straight to Lobstah Land. The bar opens at 11:00 but you can get a bloody mary anytime.

have you considered the portland quarry?

Are you referring to brownstone quarry? I have. I looked at their web site, and they state that diving this time of year is 'by appointment only'. It sounds to me like they're not open. I would be interested in going though if it was.

My best bet is a nice, calm and clear nearby lake. It will be beautiful that day.

thanks for the advice dave! I guess shore diving is out of the question on sunday. Too bad, because topside conditions look to be very nice! I considered Brownstone, but it looks like they are closed this time of year. Their web site says 'by appointment only'. I'm not sure how one goes about getting an appointment.

I called them and they are open on sunday from 9am to 5:30pm. Good news. I've never dove there, but it sounds interesting. I'm still confused by the 'by appointment only' verbiage on the web site. Though.

thanks for the advice dave! I guess shore diving is out of the question on sunday. Too bad, because topside conditions look to be very nice! I considered Brownstone, but it looks like they are closed this time of year. Their web site says 'by appointment only'. I'm not sure how one goes about getting an appointment.

My local lake is a hundred miles from you, but you're welcome to join me. Water temp around 40F at 100' depth, vis 10 to 20', but not much to see.

There may be an occasional salvage item laying on top of the silt.... that's what I'm going for.... :)

Dave C

Last edited:
How about southern Maine?

I just pulled the buoy data from Portland and it's been hanging in the 1-3 foot range for 72 hours following last week's spectacular visibility at a number of sites. Tomorrows marine forecast is especially nice Sunday looks OK too.

SCUBA Knowtes, Southern Maine Shore Dive Site Guide

Pete

Ive seen winds gusting out of the north big time only to see FT Wetherill as flat as a pancake. Find a cove that opens to the south with the shore on the north.

If swells are coming in from previous southernly winds or storms etc, then thats a different story and expect rough seas.

Back
Top Bottom