OMS IQ vs Halcyon - and issue of Fastex failure?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ScoobieDooo

Reaction score
I am a former technical rock and ice climber and while diving in the Florida Keys in January I had a Fastex buckle fail on my bag I was carrying off the boat with my mask, fins, snorkel and computer in it. Lucky, it dropped right next to the boat as we got off the boat after our dives were over and I was able to grab the bag quickly.

However, this got me thinking about my IQ harness now - what happens if I ever experience a Fastex buckle failure on that harness when at 100+ feet, and possibly twins on it?

Would I be better off with a Halcyon SS BP and 1 pc harness - which, incidentally, is about HALF the price of my OMS IQ harness, SS BP and No-Sag Pocket?

that it is a plastic shoulder release you are talking about?

On the IANTD technical diver course they made me swim round with mine undone (only one shoulder is quick release) - hardly noticed and it would not have been a problem. But then I am using a different make completely.

I get the feeling you are possibly being a bit of a troll? If not boy have you opened yourself up.....:boom:

Jonathan

I was taught to carefully check over my gear before diving. I do so regularly.

I think that if a buckle like that is broken it is obviously broken. It will hold if just one side is broken.

This is an issue that has been discussed before.

It appears to me you have already formulated your own answer here.

Would I be better off with a Halcyon SS BP and 1 pc harness - which, incidentally, is about HALF the price of my OMS IQ harness, SS BP and No-Sag Pocket?

TwoBit

I don't think your being a troll. When I took my DIR-F I remember Tamara Kendell telling us stories about seeing those things breaking way back in a cave somewhere. Personally, I wouldn't want to add a failure point to my rig. Not only could it be dangerous, but it could mess-up a nice dive trip.

I prefer a one piece harness but I haven't ever heard of a quick release failure being a big problem in the water way back in a cave or not. In the water there isn't much if any stress on it. I think it's more likely to get broke when someone steps on it on the boat causing you to miss a dive than it is to break in the water. You can undo all your releases while diving and your tanks will just sit on your back no big deal.

ScoobieDooo once bubbled...
However, this got me thinking about my IQ harness now - what happens if I ever experience a Fastex buckle failure on that harness when at 100+ feet, and possibly twins on it?

You then have a big problem...a problem that could have been avoided though.

I have only seen them break on the surface, usually the result of standing or dropping something on them. Still, I don't use them because of the failure issues.

Yes, without a doubt. The Halcyon is a better rig for less $. It certainly will not break on you.

is someone that post something controversial to kick up a fight - I only ask because this has been discussed before. I just thought maybe you were trying to wind up the DIR boys and girls.

I am sure with climbing you inspected all your gear before hanging on it from a cliff - not a bad idea to do the same with your diving gear as has been suggested.

Jonathan

No, I don't want to gather up ANYONE'S dander - I'm just curious what folks think about Fastex buckles in general, their exeriences (good and bad), and if its a perceived threat or a real threat.

No trolling...trust me, when I'm gonna troll, you'll KNOW it...

For the "dangerous part" of it... try it before you assume it. I show my students how much can be "broken" and that they can still finish the dive safely. As Mike said... there is a lot less strain and stress on all the fasteners at depth. That being said... you need a whole lot less to keep it to your body too.

Divers are at a far greater risk from doing something stupid than from a fastex buckle breaking at depth.

As for the "troll accusations"... its a sad state of affairs that some can not treat questions as just that and not as an attack on their way of diving. Thankfully, only a few will twist this (and other) questions, so don't take it too personally. Just because they are paranoid doesn't mean we are not out to get them. :tease:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom