What computer to buy...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Sebastian

Contributor
Reaction score
Hey

I've now have done about 52 dives and I decided to buy a computer.

Can anyone make any recommendations?

I'm still pondering between wrist or console (air integrated) computer.

I'd also like to be able to connect it to a PC and upload the dive data.

I don't need a nitrox computer (even though I'm planning on doing a nitrox course at some stage later on)

Thanks,

Sebastian

I love my Vyper !

Clear display, easy to use.

PC software is great, gives useful data for a relative new boy like me. The sight of your bouyancy control is really scary !!!! LOL

Nitrox ready when you are.

Just my two pence worth.

Hoppy :)

I can say i have tried some of scuba pro brand uwetec
and Suunto computers and even a mares to this date still like the cobra and Vyper
bear in mind that the suunto are a little more conservative than some of the others but this will actually work out to your advanctage and make it safer for yoy all thought you can change it to make it as close to the others !!!!!!!!!!!

Suunto rules, they are smaller and (sometimes) cheaper than Uwatec.

Mosquito still looks best choice with the same main features as Vyper and Stinger, but cheaper.

I like it, and from time to time I use it as a normal watch during day-to-day life (try that with an Aladin :wink:, they alrady think I'm crazy being a diver, forget about wearing Grandpa's clock on my wrist).

I wouldn't buy an air-integrated due to trim reasons, but that's just my 0.02$ worth.

Sebastian,

IMHO:

The DIR brigade will tell you to stick the thing on your wrist. If you choose to follow their advice and you're desperate to have air integration I'd go with the Suunto Vytec with the wireless transmitter.

However it is mega money and I've heard complaints that if you're diving anywhere near a lump of metal (wrecks?) the transmitter can go bananas because of signal bounce (whatever that is).

As for me I've got a Suunto Cobra - AI with a hose and therefore not DIR, but I love it and the PC interface works a dream.

If you can live without AI go for the Suunto Vyper.

Hope this helps

SABoy the DIR brigade will tell you to get a bottom timer.

If you are going to get a computer and are going to dive nitrox in the future get a nitrox compatable computer.

For recreational stuff I love my air integrated uwatec air z-o2. Sorry chiara, can you explain the trim thing I can't work that out?

Jonathan

Most people I know who use a console have bad trim, a wrist-mount is one thing less danglilng and damaging the bottom.

This is Bren, on about her 30-something dive. See her AI Corba? It's not dangling though, and she IS wearing a Misquito back-up on her wrist, so maybe that's what is "trimming" her out....:wink:

tony

acd.sized.jpg

if you are talking about an air integrated console how is that different from using an spg and a wrist mounted computer - hopefully you still look at the spg for your air info if not your depth?

I have an air integrated wrist aladin - lose that hose!

Jonathan

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom