Oahu general questions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

j_spot

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
1. Oahu revealed talks of jellyfish invasion in Hanauma Bay after a full moon. - How true is this? Wold you advise for or against snorkeling there on a Sunday (tomorrow) The full moon was Oct 14. Or is it just a bad idea altogether on a weekend?

2. Are there any activities other than a Helicopter ride that you would rule out after a day of diving? I know on Maui, they tell you not to go up Haleakala, but I dont know the elevation of Diamond head, or any of the other popular day hikes.

3. Polynesian Cultural Centre - Hit or Miss? $83 is nearly a day of diving, don't know if the reward is worth the cost.

4. Anything interesting worth a stop on the Drive back from north shore to Ko'olina? Dole plantation is not my idea of interesting - waterfalls and viewpoints are.

Thanks in advance for the advice, I LAND TONIGHT!:D

1.) Haven't heard about the jelly invasion in Hanauma bay and can't find it on the news anywhere.

2.)Diamond head isn't too high, it doesn't break a thousand feet I'm sure. I think only a few places in the center of the island would worry you about going too high. When in doubt, google.

3.) YES!!! Yes yes yes yes yes!! If you have a family/friend that is traveling with you, do it. If you're alone, meh. I'd rather go diving than do the PCC alone. It's still interesting tho.

4.)Wow...what isn't worth a stop on North Shore? I'm guessing you are coming from the PCC, for this question so that is how I will begin. Heading east on Kam Hwy you have the Turtle Bay Resort, also about half of the mroe famous beaches on Oahu including Sunset Beach, Waimea Beach Park, and Haleiwa town.

If you want a waterfall, Waimea Falls is directly across the street from Waimea Beach Park, but beware lack of parking. Other vistas and just things to photograph yourself with is the sign denoting Haleiwa town (on both sides, can't miss it). Also, Shark's Cove is pretty cool to look at, and if the waves aren't kicking it's great snorkeling/diving. Haleiwa town is just cool and has a lot of history on it's streets.

Also on the drive back, if you're hungry I recommend Maui Mike's Chicken in Wahiawa. Great food, cool little joint, and not too bad on prices. After that there's not too much that would excite many people so I would recommend taking Kunia Road south for the great views that pop out of the pineapple fields that will be closed soon. I used to drive that route back from Schofield every day when I lived in Kunia, and if the sun was shining the drive home was the best part of my day.

Google anything you read here and check it out. I don't know much about your visit, but definitely enjoy yourself while you are here.

Peace,
Greg

Yes, Polynesian Cultural Center is worth the money! And opt for the sit down steak dinner vs the buffet "luau". It's not nearly the best luau on the island, but the Horizons show after dinner makes up for the lack of "luau".

Surf's down the next couple of days up at North Shore, so diving/snorkeling is great at Shark's Cove/Three Tables. But the surf looks like it will be up big by Thursday.

Waimea Falls waterfall is neat, just expect a bit of a walk through the beautiful gardens before you get there. Take a bathing suit, you can actually swim in the pool most days!

If you are at Ko'olina, there is great shore diving just a shout away at Kahe point otherwise known as Electric Beach. It's the first beach just after Ko'olina, but don't leave ANY VALUABLES in the car.

1. Oahu revealed talks of jellyfish invasion in Hanauma Bay after a full moon. - How true is this? Wold you advise for or against snorkeling there on a Sunday (tomorrow) The full moon was Oct 14. Or is it just a bad idea altogether on a weekend?

There are box jellyfish invasions 10 days after full moon every month......we don't hear about it every time it happens, but it is a known fact. Check out this link:

808 Jellyfish is Hawaii's online resource for Jellyfish arrival information in the Hawaii. Beach Safety

2. Are there any activities other than a Helicopter ride that you would rule out after a day of diving? I know on Maui, they tell you not to go up Haleakala, but I dont know the elevation of Diamond head, or any of the other popular day hikes

Parachuting, gliders.....ummm....maybe stairway to heaven, The Pali look out is 985 - 15 feet within the limits.....

3. Polynesian Cultural Centre - Hit or Miss? $83 is nearly a day of diving, don't know if the reward is worth the cost.
If you are interested in the Polynesian culture, want to see how they live, talk and their traditions, take part in a luau and then see the show...then yes. :blinking:

4. Anything interesting worth a stop on the Drive back from north shore to Ko'olina? Dole plantation is not my idea of interesting - waterfalls and viewpoints are.
Coming back there is the plantation village....Pearl Harbor...

Check this site: Oahu - The Island of Oahu - The Gathering Palce

and this one: Hawaii's Official Tourism Site -- Travel info for your Hawaii vacation

Thanks in advance for the advice, I LAND TONIGHT!:D
Have a nice and safe flight!

A ScubaBoard Staff Message...

moved to our topside topics forum - Talk Story

Aloha,

In my opinion, the PCC is great but not for everyone. There is a lot of walking around and it doesn't just represent Hawai'i. Many people have this misconception that it is a Hawai'ian Luau. It is exactly as the name says, the Polynesian Cultural Center. It represents 7 different areas of Polynesia. 8 if you count the Easter Island statues.

I would never go without my kids. There are many activities to do and shows to see. You can't do and see everything in one day. This is why they have the "Free within 3" program. You can enter the PCC again within 3 days of your visit. It only includes the entrance and not the dinner or the show.

$83 is the general price for the entrance with the dinner and show. This doesn't include the guide but as long as you have the map and show times, you're good.

Jamie had mentioned the sit down steak dinner but in reality it is prime rib and crab legs! It isn't a 'sit down' dinner where you order off a menu and the waiter comes, it is also a buffet. Oooohh. All you can eat prime rib. Yummy.

What you will miss out on the 'luau' dinner is the Hawai'ian luau food. Kalua Pig, poi, poke, etc. The Horizons show is a large stage show almost like a Las Vegas style show. It is fun and very interesting. The fee for the show also includes a fruit and ice cream treat during the break so don't throw your tickets away!

It is a looooong day at the PCC and you will definitely be exhausted by the end of the day.

As far as Hanauma bay, I was there yesterday with some family members and there was not a single jellyfish in the water.....it was a little murky though, and a bit rough.... not my favorite spot for snorkeling.

I think the PCC center is worth it....at least once, even though it's touristy, you get a good glimpse of the different Polynesian cultures...I especially like the IMAX movie. The Luau has good food but it's so crowded, there is no room at all between the tables.

A good alternative to the PCC IMO is the Macadamia nut farm right off the Kamehameha Highway not far from Kualoa Park, before Chinaman's Hat (if you are coming from Kaneohe). It's only $15 bucks for the tour ($12 for residents/military), there is a bus tour around the grounds, guided by a really fun guy. They also take you around the lagoon on a big canoe where you can see a lot of movie sets/locations. The whole thing takes about an hour. You also get to sample some of their macadamia products.

Have fun!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom