Best way to improve finning techniques?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Oside Jimc

Contributor
Reaction score
OK, So a friend shot some vid of me last week in Kauai and while I'm happy with the bouyancy and trim I see, my finning technique needs help.

In addition my plan is to do more Cenote diving, including possible Cavern and Intro to Cave while I'm in Playa Del Carmen this winter. So this has got me thinking about how is the best way to improve my technique and learn things like frog kicks that will be needed for advanced training? I always strive to improve and any resources you can point me to would be great (Video of someone demonstrating good technique?). Untimately of course I know the best solution is a formal training program like fundies but I'd prefer to get on the right track now and use formal training to fine tune my technique.

Lie on a bench and have someone who's mastered the desired kick (like the frog, say) move your legs and fins to give you the motor sensation you should be trying for. It sounds hokey but can be a lot more productive than "try to clap your soles together" (frog) or "be the barbie" (flutter).

-Bryan

"Into to Tech" from the same source is better, with more detailed analysis of the various skills.

Ok, this is going to sound a bit weird, but it works. Go to a local pool or beach, all you need are a mask, snorkel and something to keep you floating on the surface - when I tried this my wetsuit and some really salty ocean water were sufficient. Oh yea, you also need somebody who knows the kicks. Just practice the kicks on the surface and really focus on the finer movements of you ankles and knees. Have your buddy watch you kick for a minute, stick your head out of the water and listen to what they have to say about your technique, make the necessary corrections and repeat as necessary. If you have your techniques down properly you will move, but not much.

I suppose that in the absence of a knowledgeable buddy you could have someone take video of you and then compare the fin movements in the previously mentioned videos to the movements of your feet. The dowside to doing this is bringing a laptop to the pool or the beach.

Another recommendation for the 5thD-X videos. You should know that the first one (the Essentials DVD) is fairly primitive, but it does show each kick in detail, as well as the other basic skills. The intro to tech DVD is much better for production values, but does not cover the basic things as thoroughly.

For me, the beginning was a modified flutter, which is fairly easy to learn to do. If you are horizontal with your knees bent, and just scull with your ankles, you'll be producting a fairly non-silting kick which will propel you slowly along. To learn the frog kick, I had to have someone pattern my feet through it underwater . . . I couldn't grasp it, and was doing it backwards (without GOING backwards, unfortunately).

You're also in an area where there should be a LOT of people you can hook up with who are already using these techniques, and can give you feedback and serve as visual models.

When I moved to a stiff blade fin (like the OMS Slipstream), my technique improved dramatically. You get a lot more feedback about what the fin is doing in the water.

Blister

Yeah, practice is good. You looked like your knees were dropping a little too much while you were kicking. I'm not sure it's something you should worry about though.

I like getting really close to the silt once in a while, and trying to do all my kicks 3-6" off the bottom. Then look behind me to see what I stirred up.

Back
Top Bottom