Which LDC?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

dazle

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hey up

I know this topic is covered but not seen one that is directly related to what i want...

I'm looking for an LDC in Sharm that does a package deal of 10+ dives and also hopefully nitrox.

I am already heading out on 30Oct for 2 weeks and have booked flight/accom in Naama Bay.

Fair enough I accept that I will have to show skills on a local dive as my 1st dive but it would be nice to go with a centre who will get me out to some of the sights where i don't have to worry about longtails etc chopping my head if I am not overly cautious when surfacing

BTW I am not a very big fan of triggers at all(Been battered by them big style a few years ago) is it nesting season now? Are the titans teretorial or just nasy pasties looking for a bit of flesh squirming action that like the sound of ohhhmmmmmmmm from a divers reg air void?

Thanks in advance

D

Its not Titan trigger nesting season and also they are territorial around the nest. They patrol a cone shaped area from the nest stretching up to the surface as opposed to wandering around looking for a fight.

As for surfacing, take a delayed SMB. Use it ALL the time there!

I hate triggers too, and I have been fighting them in Koh Tao and a some small stick-fighting in the Phillipines.

In the red sea its really facinating because they can get so big, and they come in many varieties. However, I have never seen nor heard of anyone fighting a triggerfish in the red sea. Its really strange. They dont seem so agressive there.

I have been diving in February, April, June, September and October so chances are it would have been nesting time at least once during my dives.

My heart still gives an extra beating when I come across a big giant.. they are just so unpredictable, but in the red sea I have started to ignore them because they seem alot less agressive than in the indian ocean..

In the Phillipines I always try to dive with a pointed stick (at least when guiding), it makes it so much easier and saves me alot of air... a fight can easily blast away 30-50 bar depending on the conditions and you might miss other interesting things shortening the dive... but sometimes playing with them can be fun too :)

I always book online with Ocean College Divers. They have one of their shops in Na'am Bay. I have used them for years, and they are a top notch organization.

I have never seen nor heard of anyone fighting a triggerfish in the red sea. Its really strange. They dont seem so agressive there.

:D Well I have a pair of fins around here,telling a whole different story.:D
That nice fishie took a nice bite out of the side of the fin.One of my former students was even bitten in her foot and has a scare tp prove it.:shocked2:
The Titan Trigger is IMO very agressive when nesting.
I'd rather see a BIG shark then a Titan Trigger fish.

Well I guess I've been lucky :) I really wouldent like fight one in the red sea, cause they get big in there!!

Well done chaps, I'm well looking forward to me holidays now!

Me and triggers do not get on at all. I lost count on my run ins with them when DM'ing on Koh Tao. I even lost a fin, got bit on me leg well hard(leg bleading) and bit rhough the grips on my reg... and all on my 1st day at work!)

So I don't mind barracuda's even on a night dive, big bad sharks(dived with them nearby in byron no bother) or any other bad ass, but triggers! grrrr

Dazle: I remember asking my instructor why the triggers at Koh Tao was so agressive.
His answer was:Because they always win.... remember in Koh Tao, 80% of the divers are novise/beginners... in Puerto Galera the triggers often ran away beeing scared when divers approached them because the guides use pointed sticks to fight them off (without hurting them as long as I know....)

But; again I have never been attacked in the red sea... sure others have, but my impression is they are less agressive there... will be exciting to hear your report coming home :wink:

big stick!

now there's a great idea. bet that'd go down great with conservationists. i've had plenty of grief for carrying a knife, err i mean a cutting tool

Well I reacted also when they showed it to mee the first time, but after having used it I actually thought it was a good idea...
Its kind of accepted down there, but gloves and touching corals is ofcourse a no no as everywhere else, so I dont feel that the diving industry in PG is more "liberal" when it comes to interfering with marine life, allthough we have some problems with koreans, japanesee and chinesee divers touching things and generally interfering more/showing less respect for the life.

I guess the stick is just perceived as a practical measurement to let you be able to continiue the guiding after poking the trigger away, if he attacks... of course you lead the group away from his area at the same time, and you never intentially go out to "triggerfish fighting..."

Not everyone uses it, but I never experienced the guides that dont use it, talking bad about the guides that do.. some people (usually after having experienced the fright a real trigger attack can cause) just prefer to carry it....

I sometimes do and sometime dont.. if I guide, I like to bring it.

If you have done a deep dive and are on your way up, running abit on the low side on air... the least you want is a nasty trigger that want let you be, even when you leave his terf as fast as you can kick your fins, and at the same time try to "time" your kicks with his attacks...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom