Becoming a DM?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

bamamedic

Contributor
Reaction score
Somewhere between "hold my beer and watch this!" a
# of dives
200 - 499
Truthfully, the idea of becoming a diving "professional" never entered my mind...I've been way too focused on getting the gear/skills necessary to take AN/DP and then hopefully Cavern/Basic Cave. However, a few weeks ago, one of the instructors at the local quarry asked if I wanted to take the DM class...he thought my diving skills were above par, and wanted me to work with OW classes next year.

My question is...how does one know if one is ready to become a DM? I like working with new divers (hell, I'm still pretty darned new myself!) and one of my favorite things to do is take brand new divers on a tour of the quarry. My above-the-water-swimming skills leave a lot to be desired (OK, they suck), so I guess that's something I'd have to work on prior to the course. In the water, I feel pretty comfortable, and I've got about 80 dives in the 11 months I've been certified. The more I think about it, I'm actually kinda excited about the prospect of becoming a DM...I'm just not sure I've got the experience yet to be helping to teach students, though.

Any feedback is greatly appreciated...

I'm just not sure I've got the experience yet to be helping to teach students, though.

Any feedback is greatly appreciated...

There's really know way to know whether you'll really like working with students in a DM role until you do it.

Note, I purposely said "working with students" and not "helping to teach students" because in your role as DM you won't really be teaching the students, you'll be helping the instructor, who is teaching the students. Sounds like semantics, but DMs who don't understand the difference wrong often have a hard time with the instructors they work with - "the instructor wants it this way, but I think it should be that way..." etc.

As for me, I started my DM program with about 100 dives logged, and finished with about 180. I became a DM essentially to find out if I wanted to be a DM. (Sounds like more semantics, I know.) But if you are drawn to the idea there's really no other way to know for sure. I suggest you meet with the instructor you'll be doing the program with to find out WHY they think you'd be a good DM. You need to regard that person as a mentor. Would you model yourself after them? Ask them what you'll get out of the program and what they'll get out of the program. Get a clear understand of the expectations going in, and share with them YOUR expectations as well.

Lastly, I would strongly recommend doing a program where you do actual internships with real students/classes. It will take much more time than the two-week "zero to hero" version but you'll get much more out of it.

Ray

I am much like you - still new myself, but I just finished my DM cert. I started DMC with about 45 dives and I have only 70 dives in the 6 months I have been certified as a diver (total). Lots of people will tell you that you are too new just like they told me. If you want to do it - go for it. Have candid discussions with your instructor about how you feel about being new yourself and find out from him or her specifically what you need to work on. At the end of the day only you can make that decision.

It's not just experience that makes a good DM. You can get more experience and an instructor can train you in the procedures you'll need to follow but they can't instill the personality traits a good DM has. Our DM classes are by invitation only and when we invite people to participate it's because we feel comfortable trusting them with the lives of our students. Students whose safety we are held liable for if something happens.

Personally I've seen brand new students with DM potential and I've seen some instructors I wouldn't want DM'ing for me.
Ber :lilbunny:

You also migh want to ask what any other DM's working with the shop think of the job....some shops/instructors consider a DM nothing more than slave labor and they may be in need of fresh meat. It is also a considerable expence, figure at least $900-1000 by the time it's all said and done.

There is an up side with the right shop and instructors. I am an active DM with a fairly large shop -almost 500 certs last year- and the DM's are pretty well respected. Sure we are tank monkeys a lot of the time but 99% of the time the instructor is right there beside us. We are given first shot at Scuba Reviews and Discover Scuba classes (which actually pay a little) and often help with "problem" students so at least in my shop we do get to help train the students. I enjoy it and if you like to watch people learn to dive, it can be very rewarding if you are lucky enough to hook up with the right operation.
(Ya never know, Ber might even let you teach one of her students a thing or 2 :) )

(Ya never know, Ber might even let you teach one of her students a thing or 2 :) )

LOL! That's what you get for making a good impression online :rofl3:
Ber :lilbunny:

There's really know way to know whether you'll really like working with students in a DM role until you do it.

Note, I purposely said "working with students" and not "helping to teach students" because in your role as DM you won't really be teaching the students, you'll be helping the instructor, who is teaching the students.

I just want to emphasize what RJP wrote here. Your job as a DM is to enable the Instructor to teach. This means you take care of things in the background so that he or she can focus on the teaching rather than having to look after and worry about students.

It is your job to watch students underwater while he is focused on one in particular, to herd them so that they are where he expects to find them when he is trying to get their attention, keep track of who might be developing a problem and prevent it or solve it before the instructor is inconvenienced by the problem, set up and maintain props (e.g. ascent line, surface float, distribute compasses) etc etc

For example, I can't count the times I have had to physically give students a push underwater because they just stare blankly as the instructor signals them to follow him and he swims off. One time I had to grab each and every one of their cylinders and get them moving because they all just ignored him as he swam off. Luckily I got them moving before he had to come back. :rofl3:

I find that as a DM you need to be proactive, aggressive (not in a negative, confrontational sense, I mean you should be ready to go out and tackle problems head on) and very well organised. Contrast this to an Instructor who has to be patient, empathetic and ... very well organised. :p I'm not saying that an Instructor doesn't need the DM qualities, but they are more important for a DM.

If you can afford it I heartily recommend taking the course. The only way you can truly find out whether you have the temperament to be a good DM and whether you will enjoy it is to experience what it is all about. Even if you never work as a DM I think the experience (not necessarily the skills or knowledge) gained is well worth it.

Have fun and good luck!

I started my DM with about 60 dives and finished with about 110. If you decide that becoming a DM is for you, then I think that you have about the right number of dives to start. I'm not sure that is enough to make you the greatest asset to your students, but as the other posts have said, you are pretty much an assistant with minimal direct responsibilities when you are dealing with students. As far as whether to do it at all, I personally would recommend it to anyone who wants to expand their knowledge and experience in diving. However, I'm not sure it's the best use of your time and financial resources if you are primarily zeroing in on tech diving. I finished my DM just a couple months before hearing about DIR and taking fundimentals. I was confronted with a number of differences not only in gear configuration but in philosophy between the two. You'll have to resolve that on an instructor by instructor basis as you progress through the DM program, or maybe put it all aside and dive the standard "PADI style" OW configuration during the DM. (Which means two sets of gear, and you wont be practicing your trim and buoyancy with your knees on the bottom of the pool).

On the positive side, you will see and help resolve all kinds of real problems you probably won't get a chance to if you are restricted to diving and practicing with other experienced DIR divers. You'll learn more about how less experienced divers think and act, and how you can have a positive influence on their diving. I guess it makes you think more about other divers around you and be less focused on yourself.

Good luck with your decision.

Mark

However, I'm not sure it's the best use of your time and financial resources if you are primarily zeroing in on tech diving. I finished my DM just a couple months before hearing about DIR and taking fundimentals. I was confronted with a number of differences not only in gear configuration but in philosophy between the two. You'll have to resolve that on an instructor by instructor basis as you progress through the DM program, or maybe put it all aside and dive the standard "PADI style" OW configuration during the DM. (Which means two sets of gear, and you wont be practicing your trim and buoyancy with your knees on the bottom of the pool).

Huh?

I'm a "DIR" diver currently...and was before, during, and after my DM training.

No need for two sets of gear when doing your DM. I did all my DM internships in doubles with a fully "DIR-compliant" configuration. The ONLY thing that required a modification from my typical rig was the need to wear a snorkle to demonstrate snorkle-regulator exchange.

No need to "put DIR aside and dive PADI style" during the program. There's nothing in the PADI standards that says "students, instructors and DMs must be kneeling on the bottom at all times" or that "teaching assistants may not role-model effective buoyancy control or proper trim at any point during the class."

As to resolving issues "on an instructor by instructor" basis, this underscores the need to really be in sync with your DM instructor/mentor and the other instructors you'll be working with BEFORE starting the program. If you're not of the same mind in terms of diving philosophy from the get go, the program won't go well for anyone involved. If you have a problem "confronting philosophy between the two" it simply means you got involved in the wrong DM program.

On the positive side, you will see and help resolve all kinds of real problems you probably won't get a chance to if you are restricted to diving and practicing with other experienced DIR divers. You'll learn more about how less experienced divers think and act, and how you can have a positive influence on their diving. I guess it makes you think more about other divers around you and be less focused on yourself.

Exactly! And think about what this means in terms of what kind of diver would make the ideal DM, working with either students or certified divers: A diver who is completely self-sufficient, with a disciplined dive planning approach, excellent situational awareness, highly developed problem solving skills, and who understands the value of - and rigorously practices - the team diving concept.

Sounds like a DIR diver to me!

:eyebrow:

There's really know way to know whether you'll really like working with students in a DM role until you do it. Ray

Couldn't agree more, Ray.

Being a DM is cool... and the first time one of them 'student critters' asks you if you'll be at their open water dives... or a fellow certified diver gives you a 'straight in the eye' thanks for something you helped em' with... well... kinda' cool... and the next thing ya' know... you'll start thinkin' about Assistant Instructor... or... :cool2:

But... even if you don't find the 'working part' of diving all that interesting... the skills and knowledge you'll put in your kit through the Rescue course, EFR & CPR and Divemaster courses is worth the effort...

... bottom line... I don't think you can *lose* anything by going for your DM...

My two PSI...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom