Californial Lobster Season Update

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

White Knight

Contributor
Reaction score
I realize this was asked by someone a couple of weeks ago, but "I would be interested in any updates as to Lobster Hunting success in California?" I am not looking for GPS coordinates (although that would be nice) or the sort, just an informal update. Are you catching as many as in past years? Are they as big as in past years? Are they shallow, deep, etc. as they usually are this time of the season? Etc.? Personally, I have had limited luck. I have found mainly shorts and not many keepers as compared to past seasons--noticeably so. I usually dive the Northern Channel Islands and the Santa Barbara coastline.

I concur, I'm having no success this season. Lots of maybe next season catches. Otherwise fantastic night dives, but not much else to report.

~Chuck

I've done OK in San Diego, 11 so far after 6 dives. All dives in the 6 - 19 ft range. Seen some big ones back in the holes, but they won't come out.

I am seeing more and bigger red kelp crabs than I remember from previous years. Anyone know if they are good to eat?

Thanks for your update and I hope you enjoy your lobsters. Regarding your question, I have no idea as to the taste of the kelp crabs you are seeing lately--give it a shot.

We went on Truth Aquatics about a week ago to Cortez Banks and Santa Barbara Island. Most of the lobsters were being taken in about 60 foot depths.
urmaddad

hi I just moved back to Calif. this year after being done for 19 years and could'nt wait till lob. season to try my old special spots..................lol most had few and small bugs in them but the harder to reach ones man jack pot!!! got my limit on one dive at one spot and a total of 23 keepers so far. dan

Rangerjkar, Thanks for the encouraging report. It is the first I have heard of someone limiting out anywhere this year. I'm going to give it another shot tomorrow. Location will depend upon the weather.

Went to Santa Cruz Island to Arch Rock this morning. My buddy and I saw four lobsters. Caught one but it was too short and couldn't get to a really big one--too deep in a hole. We pulled anchor and headed back to the mainland coast and dove by UCSB. The water was nasty green and the visability was only a couple of feet. About ready to call the dive, and we found two holes covered in kelp which yielded us 6 keepers! Go figure, the islands yield nothing but 100 yards off the coast in 25 feet of water......

there two finger reafs right in front there at were coast shore makes a point about 170 yrds off beach sweet spot

I have had no luck this season, went to two or three of my 'secret' spots, saw one keeper, but she was berried, so no go. Hopefully those eggs will grow into nice big 'uns in a few years!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom