Is this SPG broken?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

L_A_S

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
After reading and learning quite a bit on this great site, I figure it's time I make my first post. I'm Luke, 23, DM from NC, been diving for about 5 years.

I just got a very nice Zeagle 50d regulator and intend to increase my safety by using my old reg on a pony bottle. I have a small 5 year old ISD gauge which I intend to connect using a 6 inch HP hose. It's barely been used, 10 dives max. I noticed when shaking the SPG that it sounds like a spring may be loose in it, almost like the ball in a whistle. Is that normal? It's currently not connected to any hose.

I don't want to pressurize it if it's broken...

Thanks!

Its not normal.

Personally in that application I'd use a brass and glass SPG or one of the new 1" diameter button gauges - the latter makes a lot more sense than an SPG as they are low profile, inexpensive, durable, can be read underwater abd are accurate enough for the intended application.

yea it's a brass and glass SPG which I planned to keep tucked in, it seems easier to read than to (maybe) turn the whole tank to see the button gauge. time for plan B i guess...

Can you post a picture of the SPG? I have 4 small Halcyon SPG's that are intended for deco/stage bottles. 2 of them are setup on stage regs and get used, the other 2 are brand new still in the box in my dive cabinet, and all 4 of them have a rattle when you shake them. The 2 setup on my regs both read identically to each other and other larger brass and glass SPG's I use on my primary regs.

i have to make 5 posts to upload a picture. let me try to bypass this.

i have noticed that it only rattles when shaking it up or down (straight up from the face), but it does not rattle when shaking along either horizontal axis

i hope this will serve as my fifth post, and i'll retry the picture below

Picture_13.jpg
[/url][/IMG]

That's identical to my Halcyon's. They all have a very slight rattle, and all work. Unless your rattle is really loud or it sounds like something is completely loose and moving around inside, I wouldn't worry. How does the reading compare to another SPG?

thanks that eases my concerns. i haven't used it in years, and i'll have to wait a bit before i can assemble and try it. i don't have another SPG, just a computer, but i'll definitely compare it before jumping in.
the sound is not loud, and as mentioned above only occurs in an up and down motion, not sideways, as if the moving part is in a tube/piston. maybe that's how all SPGs work?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom