Diving Treasure

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

martinjc

Contributor
Reaction score
Well - even though I have two more weeks to wait before my OW certification class, I have already discovered my first sunken treasure! I went to our community pool last night to give my new mask/snorkel/boots/fins a test-drive before my class. (Basically because I am pretty excited about taking the class, and I figured it couldn't hurt to get really comfortable with the new equipment)

As I was snorkeling around in the 6' area - I found a nickel and a ladies diamond ring! It was really nice looking ring - gold band with 5 diamonds in a row across the top. If it is genuine - I bet the owner will really want it back! I turned it in at the pool office for their lost and found (yes I kept the nickel) but if no one claims it by the end of the season - I get to keep it. I told my wife - if this keeps up - I'll have all my dive gear paid for in no time! (She's not buying that story either...)

Great story... Back on my honeymoon in '93 I found a mens diamond wedding band while diving a popular reef in the USVI. We had it appraised at a little over $1000...

When I saw it on the bottom, it looked "sort of" like a ring, but also "sort of" like bottle cap with a bit of sand in it. The kicker was the guard... in a hole about 10 inches away was a medium sized moray. I debated a long few minutes about checking it out... In retrospect, I was glad I did :)

Now I often wonder if the guy simply lost it or threw it away in a romantic fit... :)

I still have the ring...never bothered to sell it.

martin,

(She's not buying that story either...)

Regardless of your age, go get a checkup at the doctors. Chances are, since they always do, they'll prescribe more exercise. BINGO!

"See honey, I'm just following the Doctors Orders, you don't want me to die do you?" .... If you are afraid of that answer then toss in ...
" ... die do you - BEFORE the life insurance policy matures"

hehe

=-)

I just received my new toy. A under water metal detector and I played with it three occations and all I have to show for it is. A dug up yard and a bunch of scrap. OR Maybe their Exploded civil War artilery shells. No Make that exploded Revolutionary War Artilery shells. Yea that's it. I also found a 1/2 karate diamond ring but it corroded so much that is looks like a pull tab now, Oh yea the diamond was missing also. So anybody want to buy some exploded artillery shells or rings. Still havent found out what these long metal thing I found in the yard is yet. They are about 3-4" long kind of pointed and have a head on the other. You dont thing they might be some miniture kings septer do you?

Still have my metal detector ... I've tried it in the St. Clair River, south of Lake Huron. All I got was a constant tone due to all the junk in the sand. Gave up using it and spent more time fanning the sand with better results. So far ... almost 800 coins dating back to the 1800s ....

You sure get hooked thats for sure. One thing i can never figure out... I've heard so many stories about "The guy who lost a Rolex watch..." all i ever found were TIMEX watches... were they THAT bad at spelling?

Now that I'm in the Florida Keys all I find is dive gear, weight belts, lights, and knives.... still no use for the detector..... yet.

Conch

So THAT'S where my ring is!!! Just mail it to me..I'll pay you for the postage, and maybe even send some of my famous chocolate chip cookies! hehe

Scubabunny -

I didn't even know you got out to Ohio much for recreational swimming!! I'll call the pool right away and tell them I found the owner!! <S>

Conch, What type of detector did you get. Was it a IP or a VSF detector. I havent taken mine under water yet. Still playing topside to learn how to use the thing. It has discremination on it and it does help I can pass a lot of trash. But where I dive is full of lead weights and its not going to descreminate those. BTW I got the 1280x just couldn't see paying $1000 bucks for detector when I'm just starting.

Hey Swamp Rat,

I also have the 1280-x.... with the 10 inch coil. Works great for hunting for weight belts in muck..... but I hate muck dives. If you dive in quarries where there are open water courses going on ... Cha Ching.

I'm not disappointed with the detector, I just found that in places where there is a lot of junk you will get a constant tone and get frustrated.

It also takes a while to learn the difference in tones from a soda bottle top and a 1987 dime. I found so many nails I was ready to toss the thing... then I found a pearl earring i ended up selling for over 100 bux.

Conch

The watch I had just died when I found my Timex at 90fsw off gulf shores. I saw what I thought was a broken fin strap sticking up out of the sand so I picked it up to just get it out of the water and dispose of properly. It ended up being the watch I am still wearing today. Its still in good condition. I wear out the band every few years but those aren't real expensive to replace.

Tom

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom