Looking for First Computer Recommendations

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jerlane

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hi there,
This is essentially the same post that I put under the regulator section, but I am also looking for my first computer. I am a relatively new diver. I was certified in 2004 and now have about 20 dives under my belt. I am really enjoying it and hope to make one trip a year. I live in Minnesota so it will usually be a warm water destination in the winter and typically go to the Carribean. While I can't say for sure that I will never dive here, it seems less likely in the near future. I've been looking at the Oceanic Veo 100. It looks like it has all I would need. I doubt I would need the nitrox capability. I would prefer to buy new, but if folks think it makes more sense to go used and get more bang for my buck, I'd be open to that.

Thanks in advance!

The Veo 100 is a good choice as is the Aeris XR1 for a similar price. If you want something slightly nicer then you could look at the Suunto Gecko or Cressi Archimedes II.

My two cents worth: I would get the nitrox function. Nitrox is used a LOT these days. It is used in the recreational diving ranges 1ft to 130ft. Its common to see nitrox used at 70ft, 80ft, etc. Make sure you get a computer that switches on automatically when you get in the water. If you forget to switch it on then it will switch itself on. I have an old computer and it does not have this function. In fact if it WILL NOT switch on underwater. Another function I personally like is the computer's estimation of how much psi you will have back at the surface if you stop your dive right this second. I don't have this and it is something I would like.

Charleston SC Scuba Club

I really like the Pro Plus 2. I know it cost more but it is a long term investment. I really like the air-integrated computers. I also like the big display it has nice big numbers. Nitrox is a must.

My two cents worth: I would get the nitrox function. Nitrox is used a LOT these days. It is used in the recreational diving ranges 1ft to 130ft. Its common to see nitrox used at 70ft, 80ft, etc. Make sure you get a computer that switches on automatically when you get in the water. If you forget to switch it on then it will switch itself on. I have an old computer and it does not have this function. In fact if it WILL NOT switch on underwater. Another function I personally like is the computer's estimation of how much psi you will have back at the surface if you stop your dive right this second. I don't have this and it is something I would like.

Charleston SC Scuba Club

I was wondering about how common nitrox is. It sounds like it is more common than I thought. I will probably go ahead and get one that is nitrox compatible. Do you know which computers calculate the estimated surface psi that you refer to?

Thanks again!

If you want gas calculations, you need to look into air-integrated computer, and I would recommend against them. They tend towards the expensive, and aren't really a substitute for good gas planning.

I like to put my computer on my wrist so all the important information is right there.

I would recommend a simple nitrox capable computer. They aren't typically any more expensive than air computers.

I would also recommend one with a backlight, and one that has a simple, easy to understand screen with depth and divetime in nice big, obvious letters.

After that, I like a computer I can get average depth afterwards, so I can see how my air consumption was. Logbooks are also nice, as is an ascent rate alarm/scale.

Things like bar graphs, programmable alarms, configurable conservativeness, etc, are mostly useless features IMO.

Tom

PS, Nitrox is very common in some destinations, not so much in others. Chances are good that if you stick with diving long enough, you will take a nitrox class. If you don't stick with it, and sell your gear, a nitrox computer will be easier to sell.

You mentioned traveling to warmer climes for diving... If you're going to be doing a lot of dives in a few days, you'll want Nitrox. A Nitrox-capable computer is only a little more expensive. Cheaper than buying another computer later when you do decide you need Nitrox.

I've got an Aeris Atmos2 (no longer available), but there are many similar...

Hi there,
This is essentially the same post that I put under the regulator section, but I am also looking for my first computer. I am a relatively new diver. I was certified in 2004 and now have about 20 dives under my belt. I am really enjoying it and hope to make one trip a year. I live in Minnesota so it will usually be a warm water destination in the winter and typically go to the Carribean. While I can't say for sure that I will never dive here, it seems less likely in the near future. I've been looking at the Oceanic Veo 100. It looks like it has all I would need. I doubt I would need the nitrox capability. I would prefer to buy new, but if folks think it makes more sense to go used and get more bang for my buck, I'd be open to that.

Thanks in advance!

If you want just a nice computer that does downloadable dive logs, bottom timer, nitrox (up to 50% I think ?) I would recommend the Mares M2 for you. (now doesn't that sound like a sales pitch??? :D ) It goes for about $190 from scubatoys.com

Hope that helps,
Taylor
Vicdiver656

My wife and I are using the Cressi Archimedes. Does more than we need. Leisure Pro has it on sale for under $300.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom