Puerto Galera vs Anilao diving?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

pjlinva

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I'm working on a 2 week dive trip for my husband and me for next March, with about 5 days diving either Puerto Galera or Anilao, then the second week diving Sogod Bay. My problem is that I can't decide between the two places for the first week. I know that PG has more diversity as far as types of dives, and more night life than Anilao. Night life isn't a big thing for us because after about 3 dives or so, we end up going to bed early, and we're also not really wreck or tech divers. I'm really looking for the best of the two as far as coral reef health, fish life, macro and visibility. For those of you who have dived both Puerto Galera and Anilao, which would you pick? Thanks!

Why not do both? I recommend 3 nights anilao and 4 nights PG (1 day for diving Verde Island) if you could swing it. Although I love Anilao, if you had to pick one I'd recommend PG if it's your first time. More other things to do in PG than Anilao.

Also, if you can change it, I recommend doing Anilao/PG for your last week and Sogod Bay for your first week. That way you can spend more time off-gassing on land transfers than eating into your dive time.

Hope that helps!

since I edited it - what kind of dives and what kind of marine life were you looking for?

Last edited:
Having dove both locations, if I were to choose one to go back to strictly for the diving, I would choose Anilao. I really enjoyed my Anilao diving. Five dive days in Anilao will give you a good feel for the diving. I was there during February and had really good weather. Either way, for five days I would just choose one place and relax and enjoy it.

1. Anilao: Really good macro! Basically, sleep, eat and dive with one operation. IMHO, not a place to go if at the end of the dive day you want options to eat dinner out at various places and/or party. I did 3 (sometimes 4) dives a day, had dinner and went to bed. Friday and Saturday nights had some decent parties (people there from Manila for the weekend) if you wanted to join in.
2. PG: Pleasant diving. At the end of each dive day you have lots of choices of where to eat, drink and/or party.

PG does have that "savoire faire" ........I like it too.

Everyone, thanks for your input. It really seems like a toss-up between the two. I was leaning toward Anilao until a travel agent I talked with yesterday said that she dived both Anilao and Dumaguette, and the diving is MUCH better at Dumaguette. I wasn't looking real hard at Dumaguette because I wanted to maximize our dive time the first week by doing land transfers instead of a flight over to Cebu. Am I making a mistake? We like muck diving and nice reefs - is it that much better at Dumaguette? Thanks again for any advice!

Everyone, thanks for your input. It really seems like a toss-up between the two. I was leaning toward Anilao until a travel agent I talked with yesterday said that she dived both Anilao and Dumaguette, and the diving is MUCH better at Dumaguette. I wasn't looking real hard at Dumaguette because I wanted to maximize our dive time the first week by doing land transfers instead of a flight over to Cebu. Am I making a mistake? We like muck diving and nice reefs - is it that much better at Dumaguette? Thanks again for any advice!
I'd say dive both if you can (Anilao and Dmaguete) and change your travel agent.

Ah, if muck diving is what you like, then yes, I agree with Caloy - I'd go for Anilao instead of PG and Dumaguete instead of Sogod. For the ultimate muck diving, you might also want to check out Cabilao, Bohol (sorry to throw it in the mix and complicate things a bit more but maybe you could work it in a future trip).

Hi PJLINVA

I've never been to Philippines diving - but this is an interesting thread 'cos i'm in the same dilema - looking to go in March and trying to decide between the Batangas area (PG / Anilao) and Visayas (Dumaguete / Bohol / Siquijor / Moalboal / Cabilao). Like you I want to do two centres in two weeks. Yesterday I attended a dive show here in the UK and spent a lot of time speaking to resorts and agents of the two areas. As a result I am leaning strongly towards Visayas.
I also don't want to have a 'flight' in the middle which would be the case if connecting between Batangas and Visayas (i.e. Manila > Cebu) so I'm going to throw another curve ball for you and say why not drop the idea of Batangas altogether and concentrate for two weeks down in Visayas. You may need to spend an extra half day to get there, but could be well worth the effort.......

philip2711

i'd suggest the visayas too. dumaguete, bohol, siquijor, moalboal, etc are jsut a short boat ride/car ride away.

i've tried these guys: [http://www.sea-explorers.com/hopping.html]
and they're pretty good. a bit on the high end tho. they have resorts across the visayas. they can handle the transfers to their diff resorts so you don't have to worry.

but, your call. you pretty much can't go wrong with PG and anilao too.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom