Safaga - suggestions?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MartinNorway78

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hello fellow h2o-junkies

I am thinking about jumping on a plane the 30th to Hurghada, as I have only heard bad things about the diving/town itself I was planning checking out a bit further south: Safaga.

Anyone has any recommendations for a DC and cheap and cheerful acc.?
I am looking for a flexible operation (not too big) and a hotel with fan/fridge @ about 25 Euros per night.

And if you have any tips on good divesites I would appriciate that too!
Or: If you think the trip to Safaga isnt worth the time and the effort at all:
Let me know too, and why!

Cheers
Martin :coffee:

Good dive sites in Safaga area include Abu Kifan, Panorama, Hal Hal, and Salem Express. Also Ras Abu Soma is a nice one.

Safaga is nice but personally I won't consider doing a specific trip to Safaga. Abu Kifan, Panorama, and Hal Hal are more or less the same topology. Abu Kifan is the best of these three, IMHO. What I would do is considering a live-aboard mainly to the Brothers, then to Abu Kifan and Salem Express on the way back.

Thanks Asser
Do you mean that the town is too small and the divesites "too much of the same" because they are all centered close to eachother? Therefore maybe book a liveaboard from Safaga or Hurghada instead?

I am just worried abouth the cost compared to staying on land, and beeing stuck with 12 russians (no offence!) on a boat for a week... I will check some more... researching as we speak :)

If anyone can direct me to an update and functioning website with liveaboard bookings ("incl. last minute") from Hurghada I would be ever so gratefull... alot of the sites I find is not up to date....

Safaga is an extension of the "Resorts Road" in Hurghada. Beside diving, you probably stay in the resort.

No these three sites are not that close to each other but they're more of less identical. And yes, the cost of a good live-aboard won't be peanuts :)

Are you traveling on your own? It's better if you have some other fellow divers with you.

I am travelling alone :), I like that.

Its hard to fins a liveaboard that matches my dates also, as I amk booking "last minute"...
hmm.... what to do... I have asked some DC's in Safaga and I am looking for liveaboards, but many of the websites are not up to date... :(

Its just that I can get this cheap flight the 30th for a week and I really want to dive south... I've been so much to the north by now..

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom