Nitrogen Psychosis

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

J.R.

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
So… Ok… I wuz’ sittin’ there watching a History Channel program about Roman “superships”… ships designed to carry huge slabs of marble for building projects. Seems they found one at a depth of 150’…

Announcer: “Because of the lack of oxygen at these depths, divers run the risk of nitrogen psychosis… a potentially deadly condition.”

... kinda' makes ya' wonder about the rest of the program's content doesn't it???

Now I'm willing to admit that there is a LOT of stuff out there that I've never heard of before... perhaps this is one of em'... so I wuz' wondering... anybody heard of any other great medical disasterisms... say, "Unbends"... that situation which occurs some where between the 2nd and 3rd dive while on vacations???

Yeah, there is a lot of erroneous information out there. Sometimes it just makes you want to sit down and send them a letter. But you know it won't do any good anyway.

I've never heard of "unbends". What is that supposed to be?

It's technical cooba divin' stuff where they use oxygen tanks. Unlike norklin' where you need a license.

Announcer: “Because of the lack of oxygen at these depths, divers run the risk of nitrogen psychosis… a potentially deadly condition.”

I believe this is what Stevesy suffered from after his encounter with the Jaguar shark. Hans refered to it as "crazy eyes".

Haha it is funny what terms the media mix up. I was reading a newspaper article about some deep wreck dives my instructor had done were it talked about how he uses a mixture of nitrogen, oxygen and hydrogen to make the deep dive safer. I asked him about his hydrogen usage and how it works... he didn't seem impressed at their mix up :) Edit: I believe some mixtures do have hydrogen but for much deeper than the dives he does. I thought I better point that out before someone corrects me :)

Haha it is funny what terms the media mix up. I was reading a newspaper article about some deep wreck dives my instructor had done were it talked about how he uses a mixture of nitrogen, oxygen and hydrogen to make the deep dive safer. I asked him about his hydrogen usage and how it works... he didn't seem impressed at their mix up :) Edit: I believe some mixtures do have hydrogen but for much deeper than the dives he does. I thought I better point that out before someone corrects me :)

Hydrogen can be used instead of helium. It is much cheaper than helium. I don't know if anyone still use it as it can explode if mixed with oxygen.

So… Ok… I wuz’ sittin’ there watching a History Channel program about Roman “superships”… ships designed to carry huge slabs of marble for building projects. Seems they found one at a depth of 150’…

... kinda' makes ya' wonder about the rest of the program's content doesn't it???

Now I'm willing to admit that there is a LOT of stuff out there that I've never heard of before... perhaps this is one of em'... so I wuz' wondering... anybody heard of any other great medical disasterisms... say, "Unbends"... that situation which occurs some where between the 2nd and 3rd dive while on vacations???

I have a Masterdegree in food- and biotechnologie and what I see in TV or read in newspaper is mostly so wrong that it can't be wronger. And every time I read such things I ask myself if all the other things I read are as wrong and I just don't know because I do not have the knowlege on other topics.

Hydrogen can be used instead of helium. It is much cheaper than helium. I don't know if anyone still use it as it can explode if mixed with oxygen.

Yes I know (see my edit (which I made long before your post :wink: ) as I knew someone would point that out :p). However he uses helium, not hydrogen so it was a mix up by the paper. I had heard that hydrogen was used in very deep diving (well below 100m) so I asked about it and was wondering what depths he'd gone to but just a mix up! :(

my little brother works for FOX NEWS ... you have KNOW idea of the mysteaks their kapable of ... but scarier than that ... is the mistakes they are completely "AWARE" of .... you can simply not imagine

Back
Top Bottom