Argon and Dry Suits -- How much warmer?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

vaq

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Just started diving dry and have been in temps of 45 degrees and intend to keep diving during the winter (Northeast) and cooler waters. While comfortable, toward the end of the second dive I do start to get a little cool but I'm still comfortable. Anticipating I may be diving in cooler waters or extending dive times, is it worth using argon and does anyone have a guesstimate as to how much warmer it actually keeps you. I couldn't find a thread, blog, or site that actually addresses the temp difference in a dry suit using argon vs. air. Just trying to figure out if it is worth the cost. Thanks.

Not a tec diver, but I wonder about this too - it seems to me to add a lot of extra complexity, for a problem with a simple ready made solution - wear warmer underclothes...

I will now sit back and wait to be flamed for my ignorance...

Should have added I'm using a Weezle Extreme.

From the above referenced article:

Unfortunately, uranium hexafluoride shares radon's health disadvantages and raises certain state security issues.

:rofl3: :rofl3: :rofl3: :rofl3: :rofl3:

Good article, and funny too... I'm not a drysuit diver nor probably ever will be, but I was curious about the argon thing too. Now I know!

>*< Fritz

I have used argon from time to time. I have not noticed "truly" remarkable differences. However, on some very long & deep dives I felt better knowing that I had it . For the long, cold ones it helps to:

Eat before the dive
Get sleep before the dive
Insulate properly
if possible ...use a rebreather

X

There's been a study that shows that argon has little added benefit over air. But I recall this study was (rightfully) criticized for a few points:

1. Inadequate test durations
2. No comparison to trimix
3. No "vent/flood" with argon prior to testing

If you must draw a conclusion from this, it sounds like argon may not be worth it if you're doing short dives without first venting the suit, and not using helium mixes. If you're looking for maximum warmth, the result above are probably inapropos.

As I recall the Navy has conducted recent studies showing little added thermo improvement using argon vs. air in a dedicated delivery system. From a pers. view I have found no additional value so I continue to use air for the dry suit, even while doing trimix based diving. It's one of those same arguments as, do you feel better after diving nitrox vs. air. :D BUT my delivery system cylinder does have an argon label on it---so maybe I should feel warmer....hmmm

I dive argon. To me, its just that little extra that helps. If your trying to decide whether to buy your first argon rig (ie reg, tank, etc.) or a really good undersuit...go with the undersuit.

Btw, I have argon inflation, but I haven't felt much difference vs. air, so if and until I go trimix, my next fills are going to be "airgon." I could really live without it and would be happy to use backgas, but I got the bottle + reg at a silly price and don't like to see gear sitting dry.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom