Bungee Wings

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ScoobieDooo

Reaction score
I've decided to see if I can formulate some data concerning the age-old issue of bungeed wings vs. non-bungee wings.

The 'CON' side of the argument states that they are 'Bungee Wings of Death' - (BWOD) and that they are hence - dangerous.

The 'PRO' side says that this is all 'hearsay' and not deaths have actually ever been expressed from their use.

So in gathering this data, I'd like to know who has actually died as a DIRECT result of a bungee wing failure via a punctured bungee wing that failed to provide lift when required.

Anyone have any 'actual' stories, experiences they can share?

ScoobieDooo once bubbled...
Anyone have any 'actual' stories, experiences they can share?
The argument is primarily a DIR versus non-DIR equipment one, with some marketing thrown in by companies like OMS and Halcyon.

Now on the other hand, suicide clips actually have contributed to at least one death.

Well, thats my buddies argument - that this is a GUE issue and not REALLY based on actual deaths that have resulted from using bungeed wings.

Thats the basis of my data-gathering mission currently...is this FACT or FICTION?

Is this just Irvine's 'Stroke' thing or what?

to not incite a riot...

Don't use the "S" word... unless you have a DIR-F card, there is no reason for that kind of profanity on this board :tease:

Don't ask about the BWOD... it is anathema to many and they take it as a troll. I have contacted DAN about this, and they have never even been a mitigating circumstance in any accident. :tease:

Don't ask about computers... see the relevant thread on this issue. :tease:

Don't debate horizontal ascents/off-gassing etc. Its a faith thing, and if you don't already believe it, then you probably never will. :tease:

Don't couch your questions as DIR/Non-DIR controversies. It is far more productive to discuss individual concepts/precepts on their own merits, and not as part of a holistic system. :tease:

You might scan this thread, as I recall it had some first hand experiences http://www.scubaboard.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=25397

One point I did make in that thread was that despite the affectionate name given them, the concern mentioned by JJ in his book (the DIR-F textbook) only references "Bondage Wings" under TRIM and states:

"Certain BC designs can actually complicate the problem of proper trim. For example, BC's with restrictive bungies appear to promote gas trapping and increased drag by generating turbulent flow around the diver. Trapped gas pockets can imbalance the diver with unequal pockets of lift."

Also, by a picture is the quote:
"The gas-trapping characteristics of some BCs make achieving proper trim more difficult, as well as increasing drag. "

I've head there is a bit more in one of the videos and we all know the discussions go on and on, but my point is the real basic argument seems to have originated with an issue of drag, not death ...

~<//><

Ok, then maybe they should have been named "Bungee Wings of Drag" more appropriately?

ScoobieDooo once bubbled...
Ok, then maybe they should have been named "Bungee Wings of Drag" more appropriately?

True, but it just doesn't have the same ring. Or were you trying to make a politically incorrect statement there ...

~<//><

I've yet to read or hear anyting stating that a person dies solely because of his wings. Either from being punctured, or getting caught on something on a wreck. To me it looks like a DIR propaganda thing. Just my opinion though....... and we all know about opinions......

I've never heard of any incident directly related to the use of BWOD. I think that it's more of future problem elimination by not using them. I think it makes sense to not use them by looking at the problems that may arise if a failure does occur. Why not take an extra step towards eliminating the problem before it happens. Rather than having to figure out a way to deal with it when it does happen.
I would glady test it out though. In a controlled environment of course. If say OMS and Halcyon gave me a couple of wings each to use for it. I couldn't afford to do it out of my own pocket. I wonder if I could get a goverment grant for this??:D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom