bottom timer issues

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

NorthWoodsDiver

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I just did a dive, as in I am still in my undergarments. as soon as I first looked at my oms/uwatec bottom timer it said my max depth was 325' and the dive time was something like 32 minutes but I was in maybe 10' on my way down to 100 and was in the water maybe 1 minute by this point.

Its on the surface now is is still counting time and thinks I am at 9ft.

this this has about 150-200 dives on it and was bought new from dive rite express last summer right before they stopped carrying them anymore. most of my dives last an hour to 90 minutes on average so I cant see it as a battery issue.

From what I can tell it leaked out lots of mineral oil and has a small crack in the face plate, I dont know what caused the crack but I'm sure this thing is pretty much junk now. does anyone have any experience tearing 1 apart. Thanks

I dont have much experience tearing one down, but if oil leaked out, it would hopefully have prevented water seeping in, my suggestion would be, if you can, remove the batteries right away, rinse it in fresh water and then put it into a plastic bag and let a stream of warm air from a hair dryer blow into the bag for at least an hour, this will dry any potentially damaging water that may have got in and prevent it from corroding the board.

Once its dry you can work on it, but if it had oil, chances are you will need the special machine to refill and vacuum out the bubbles, not really a do it yourself operation.

I have saved many a camera, computer and flashlight by this method, the main thing though is getting the batteries out immediately you notice the flood or damage, once the power is off the board you can safely rinse it and dry it properly without too much problem.

Hope you can save it.

Sounds like a good excuse to upgrade to a new bottom timer. Chunk it, save the strap for the junk box. Don't chance trying to fix a non serviceable timer.

Ken

If it was an over the counter sale under the Sp dealer agreement, Uwatec will replace it under warranty. Its worth asking.

it came from dive rite express in july 2007, I doubt there is any kinda warrantee. its been over 24hrs since I discovered the issue and its been on and blinking the whole time. I am waiting til monday totry and get ahold of fill express thinking maybe I could get a credit or something. I want a vytec for the next bottom timer so I can use it in computer mode for recreational stuff.

Thanks

Back
Top Bottom