Nitrox - 1.40 or 1.60 PO2?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

heelsfaninpa

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I'm a new nitrox diver and having recently made the transition, I was questioned by a friend about what PO2 I was using in my computer. He told me that he was using 1.60 and that I should too.

During my nitrox class, I was taught that the most common P02 was 1.40 and this is what I use.

So the question is this - What PO2 do you use when diving nitrox?

Thanks!

:popcorn:

Plan the dive to 1.4 or less. Know what depth 1.6 is in case there is a compelling reason to violate the plan. I leave it to you to decide just what "compelling" means.

Mark Vlahos

PO2 limits are like deco hits - you may be within the guidelines and still have a problem. As noted the general limit is 1.4 with a max of 1.6. However, some recommend a max PO2 of 1.2.

1.6 is only safe for being at rest as in a Deco hang or a saftey stop. if you are active, ( as in swiming,) keep your PO2 at or below 1.4.

On the bright side, If you Ox-Tox, you will never know what happened.
...as in you pass out and drown without knowing it.

Stay home and when you drive never go over 35mph and wear a helmet! 1.4 is so conservative that if you ask all operations will be forced to adopt the lower standard or risk being sued for that one in million who might have a problem. I use 1.6 as an absolute limit and stay with in it...... As with all potentially dangerous activities it should be a personal choice based on risk assessment and benefit for the task!

. . .So the question is this - What PO2 do you use when diving nitrox?
I use 1.4 as my max. The details of EAN and it effects on physiology is way over my head and I'm not really motivated enough to do the necessary research to make an informed decision to blow-off the training agencies and DAN. Given my limited use of EAN, it just seems more prudent to go with the recommendations. I also set my computer to 1.2. I'd prefer to be warned before I actually exceed the recommendations, not after I've blown by it and hit the contingency point.

As a certified Nitrox diver the answer should be clear.....but I understand also that allot of information in those classes are gone over quickly and it is not always easy to recall without repeated study and planning experience--so a good question you have brought up.

I strongly suggest you stay at a PPO2 of now greater than 1.4 . You will see technical decompression divers adjusting their deco stops to as high as a PPO2 of 1.6 (non working stage of the dive).

Also there are a number of reasons one might even be wise to set a PPO2 level lower than 1.4 on dives.

As to the setting on your dive computer that is up to you, I persl. have all my warning settings silenced.

Dive safe and wise!

Read this and you will understand my point of view! OXYGEN EXPOSURE MANAGEMENT

I set my Oceanic Data Pro Plus II to 1.6 hard bottom! I graph my dives and very seldom if ever even come close to 1.6 based on depth and time at depth. It would take a very good SAC rate to exceed MOD for enough time to be dangerous! The above article is very good for facts on hits taken at pressure!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom