Wisdom 2 will not turn off

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

chicken197

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I used my new Wisdom 2 yesterday. Overall I am pretty happy with it but this morning I discovered it was still on. I made sure all connectors were dry but the screen is stuck on "FLY" I put it back to time and after an hour it goes back to the fly screen. I even tried removing the battery.

Of course my LDS is closed today, anyone else have this issue? How do I turn it off and save the battery life?

It'll turn itself off.

Wait until tomorrow. If it's still on then, you've got a problem.

I have found with my Uwatec Alladin Tec that after diving is salt water the contacts need a thorough rinse in fresh wanter and a good dry or the computer will stay on. I have concluded that the salt water leaves a conductive residue that fools the computer into thinking it is still "wet". If you have not solved your problem by now you might give it a try.

Thanks Fisheater. Exactly 24 hours after completing my dive the computer turned off. Before then I email Sherwood and this was their response...

"It sounds as if the computer is doing exactly what it is supposed to do.
The computer needs to remain on and continue to calculate nitrox off gassing until it has cleared itself. Once it goes into FLY mode it also goes into battery saving mode. Since the computer does not know your future plans it must continue to calculate to accommodate for future dives or flights. Once the computer has cleared itself it will turn itself off."

That sounds good but my dive was made on air, not NITROX. What is NITROX off gassing?

Thanks Fisheater. Exactly 24 hours after completing my dive the computer turned off. Before then I email Sherwood and this was their response...

The computer needs to remain on and continue to calculate nitrox off gassing until it has cleared itself. Once it goes into FLY mode it also goes into battery saving mode. Since the computer does not know your future plans it must continue to calculate to accommodate for future dives or flights. Once the computer has cleared itself it will turn itself off."

That sounds good but my dive was made on air, not NITROX. What is NITROX off gassing?

I'd put money on the "nitrox off gassing" to be a typo. They went to say "nitrogen off gassing."

I.e., the computer stays on until it figures out that your tissues are back at the normal levels of dissolved nitrogen.

fisheater is absolutely on the money... Sherwood meant NITROGEN off gassing.

However, if you want to be pedantic, I recently was told that nitrox is technically a gas of nitrogen and oxygen. Most people are talking about Enriched Air Nitrox when they say nitrox. I guess Sherwood could claim they used the term nitrox because it includes air (21% oxygen, 79% nitrogen is an oxygen and nitrogen mixture). :wink:

Bottom line however, the Wisdom 2 will not shut off immediately unless you are in gauge mode and even then I think it stays on for a few minutes after a dive.

Back
Top Bottom