Suunto Stinger Issue

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

vbcoachchris

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
I have 2 Suunto Stinger's that have been back to Suunto 3 times EACH in the past year. They both have the same issue. Every 3rd or 4th dive they do not automatically activate when I submerge. I can manually activate the device, but there is a second issue. When I get to 10 feet the devise shuts off and starts my surface interval. It thinks I have surfaced when I am still 10 feet underwater. Every time I send it back to Suunto; they say it passed all their tests and tell me to try it again, but charge me for testing. I have spent over $200 each on these things in the past year (including annual service). As an instructor my students are present when this happens. This is not helping me promote their gear. Has anyone else had this issue? If so how did you solve it?

I've not heard of this issue before. I've got a Stinger and a D9 that have performed flawlessly.

Its very strange that these issues have repeated even though Suunto can't find anything wrong. Have you tried getting your LDS to run the units in the test tank to try and duplicate the issue? Maybe you could videotape the test, and if you get the error, give Suunto a copy of the tape.

Now that I read your post, I'm thinking back and realizing that that happened to me a year or so back with a suunto mosquito !
I was descending and looked at my computer and realized it was "off" ?!?!?!?!

I was able to activate it and continued on the dive.
I don't remember it happening again, and seemed to have forgot it happened at all until I read this post. Hmmmmmmm, weird

I did video tape it and showed it on my wrist compared to my aladin tech. I offered them the video, but they were not interested. They said they woiuld take care of it, but this is the 4th time they are going to take care of it .n a one year period

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom