Pony bottle mounting options?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DryGear

Registered
Reaction score
Hoping this is the right forum after a relatively fruitless site search.

Recently picked up a used AL30 and am trying to figure out the best way to mount it to my kit.

Leaning towards slinging it under my arm at this point but would also considering mounting it to my tank. I have access to all kinds of random alum cutoffs so I'm likely going to throw something together myself. Just looking for feedback on what other people have done to mount/ sling their ponies and is there considered a more standard mounting method or is it strictly personal preference?

...Currently diving an old Zeagle Ranger with a DIN AL80 (in the market for a used HP120 or HP130). I have a spare yoke 1st stage with a 30" hose 2nd stage I'd like to use on the pony. ...would eventually like to upgrade to a BP/W but that won't be in the budget within the next 12 months.

Any feedback appreciated!

Do you want to use your ponny tank as sommething like the spare air system?

You'll get a lot of advice, but the smart money, and the experience, will be on slinging it.

I have a 19 cf. pony. I tried tank mounting it first, but found it made the valve to hard to reach. Then I slung it off one strap of my harness, but that made donning my rig a big problem if I slung it first, and I had to struggle to attach it if I had the harness already on. Now I sling it across my chest after the harness is on; it's easy to attach and very accessible, yet doesn't seem to get in my way. The down side it I have to unclip one end to remove the harness, which could be a problem if I had to do it underwater. I need to get a clip that is eaiser to open while wearing gloves.

You'll get a lot of advice, but the smart money, and the experience, will be on slinging it.

Agreed...

"It don't mean a thing if it ain't got that sling!"

Here's how I sling mine (AL 30)

100_4350.jpg

The top snaplink clips into the left shoulder D ring and the bottom snap link clips into the left hip D ring. I use double ender snaplinks because my shoulder D ring lies flat on land and is a b_tch to clip into. Being able to disconnect the snaplinks from the tank also keeps them from clanking around during land handling. If you plan the position of the sling out correctly your SPG will be right in front of your eyes. In my case I use a buttom SPG. Some bicycle innertubing holds the regulator in position and the hose against the tank sling. In the water I don't really notice it there (weight wise) and the tank body tends to float up under my arm pit out of the way.

Here's a shot of the tank/sling set up. You can see, in my case, that I used brass rings on the tank sling and the double enders snap into that.

100_4347.jpg

Hope that helps.

A thought just came to me.

Gosh, I'm a handsome fellow!

Now seriously, I use my pony as an emergency redundant air source only and don't extend my bottom time with it so a button SPG works ok (it's either full or not and is only being breathed to the surface). If I were using it more as a stage bottle I'd go for a regular SPG so I could track the pressure better.

I mount a 40cuft pony against my main tank using a couple of cam straps, basically set up as asymmetric independent doubles. I don't notice it affecting my trim or balance and it doesn't interfere with the wing inflating.

Slinging does have advantages; could hand it off to another diver if needed and can use a button SPG instead of a regular SPG with hose. Try slinging, try back mount and see which works for YOU.

I’d prefer not to carry a pony, but the only buddy I trust not to swim away with my alternate air source isn’t diving at the moment.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom