Turn off my Wisdom 2

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

whodunit68

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
hi all,
Only 2 days old are my new Sherwood Scuba outfit with BC (Avid XL), Octo, Wisdom 2, and a bunch of bags and other things. I've already had a great day of diving with them. I've been going through the Wisdom 2 manual and I simply cannot find out: "how do I turn this thing off?" Ok, I see that it shuts itself off (if not wet) in 2 hours. But what if I'm on an airplane (which I'm about to be)?
I searched the net, asked 30 people in the airport (ok, maybe not), and did read the manual over and over but can't find it. Maybe I'm just blind and missed it...on the surface, pre- or post-dive, how can I manually shut off the power of the Wisdom 2?
Thanks in advance for reading this simple question.

If it is like the Insight, it will turn off by itself, either after 2 hours if you don't go diving or 24 hours after the last dive.

After a dive, it stays on to tell you how much time remaining before you can take a plane. That's why it won't shut off.

no the Fly mode is over...I watched it down to 2 minutes. I know it will turn off by itself in 2 hours, as stated in the post...but 1) I don't want to waste the battery and 2) I simply want the comfort that it is off especially when I deliberately turned it on such as reviewing my dive log post-dive. thanks though.

Last edited:
...on the surface, pre- or post-dive, how can I manually shut off the power of the Wisdom 2?
Thanks in advance for reading this simple question.

You can't. (Though you could remove the battery and defeat its memory.)

fisheater is right. You cannot turn it off. But the battery is good for a LONG time (months, even if diving), so I wouldn't worry about it.

On the other hand, you raise a good point about the airlines. I always carry my computer with me when I travel, and on the last trip I had to unpack mine to show it to TSA. They did not make me turn it on, but if they do, then it will be on for the next 2 hours. Just stick it back in your bag and let it shut off when it does. It won't crash the plane.

I recommend taking it out of auto sensing mode. I took it onto a plane while it was on and with the pressure changes it was trying to figure out what kind of dive I was doing, DECO, depths everything. It's OK if it stays on, just take if out of auto sensing in one of the setup screns.

racerfern, mine did exactly that and of course it didn't occur to me to take out of auto-sensing mode. good point.
wve - agreed but frankly who creates a computer with absolutely no way to shut it off? This makes absolutely no sense to me. I'm not worried about it crashing the plane. I'm worried about over-zealous flight attendants, etc, who insist on all electronic equipment being off.
Thanks all for your help. In spite of my diligent efforts to find this in the manual and not originally finding it, I eventually did and combined with the posts above, have confirmed that it cannot be manually shut off. Safe dives to all.

I'm not worried about it crashing the plane. I'm worried about over-zealous flight attendants, etc, who insist on all electronic equipment being off.

I know. But if it is in the carry-on bag, who knows it is on? :crafty:

End your last dive more than 24 hours before getting on the plane and it will be off.

Also remember Sherwood cares more about you and keeping you within safe diving limits. The unit staying on is a reminder about flying after diving.

Think of the Wisdom as a fancy computer watch. I have a Citizen dive watch. I don't shut that off during flight. That's because these units don't emit or receive any kind of electronic signal like other wireless devices might. It's all good.

Back
Top Bottom