Oceanic PC Interface

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

crl450

New
Reaction score
Has anyone managed to download from an Oceanic XTC100 to a PC using a USB IR adapter instead of the expensive Oceanic Interface Kit?

:(

I have recently bought a used Oceanic Data Plus computer from a dive buddy hoping to be able to download my dive log. Looking at Oceanic prices for the IR interfaces, I too decided to try other avenues and managed to find a 'build-it-yourself' IR PC Interface for parallel port. However I have not been able to communicate with the dive computer via my 'widget'; which, with it's own software, does work by the way.

I called Oceanic Technical Support and they advised me not to waste my time trying to build an interface, nor should I bother to buy the interface cable new because for what you get, it isn't worth it. They advised that I try and get it used some where like through EBay. I plan on keeping this computer for a few years yet and would really like to download my dive info if possible.

PRB

I know the Oceanic Log interface uses the parallel port so I was thinking of getting a serial or USB IR adapter and then redirecting the parellel port to the new device. That way you should still be able to use the Oceanic software which you can download from their web site. I was hoping someone had already done this but judging from the lack of replies to my query no-one has.

I think I'll probably get a serial IR adapter and just give it a go and see what happens. In the mean time I'll keep checking Ebay, which is where I bought the XTC 100 anyway!

Strange that Oceanic advised you not to buy the interface from them as it wasn't worth it - I wonder if they would release the technical details of how the device communicates - it probaby just sends the data in ASCII after some form of handshake.

Anyway if I have any luck I'll let you know.

CRL

I have a JetEye which is a serial to irda. I been trying to connect with the oceanic data max pro and no luck. I do not think it is a serial or parallel issue. There is something else that blocks the transfrer. If U find out tell me.

The latest software on the oceanic site uses either serial or parallel. There is a issue with winXP and the parallel port.

Thanks for that I didn't know that the latest software could use the serial port direct. Because it does, I've just bought a serial IR adapter off eBay (designed to be able to control your PC with a remote - for playing DVDs etc I think). Anyway, it was only £12 so it's worth giving it a try.

I won't be able to try it for a couple of weeks as I'll be away, but I'll let you know how it goes when I get back. In the meantime if you want to try it yourself, I bought it on the UK eBay site (cause I'm in UK) and they do have some more. Just search for 'Infrared remote control of PC'.

CRL

Hi,

I too own a XTC-100 and was looking into an option for downloading its data. I have a laptop with integrated IR and I'll probably try it tonight. I was just curious if you tried to communicate using your gadget you bought through Ebay.
Thanks,

Luis

crl450:
Thanks for that I didn't know that the latest software could use the serial port direct. Because it does, I've just bought a serial IR adapter off eBay (designed to be able to control your PC with a remote - for playing DVDs etc I think). Anyway, it was only £12 so it's worth giving it a try.

I won't be able to try it for a couple of weeks as I'll be away, but I'll let you know how it goes when I get back. In the meantime if you want to try it yourself, I bought it on the UK eBay site (cause I'm in UK) and they do have some more. Just search for 'Infrared remote control of PC'.

CRL

Hi,

I own an XTC-100 as well and am not ready to give it up! Did you have any luck in your quest for the IR interface? Or program? Or even the data transfer protocol from Oceanic?
Thanks,

Luis

crl450:
I know the Oceanic Log interface uses the parallel port so I was thinking of getting a serial or USB IR adapter and then redirecting the parellel port to the new device. That way you should still be able to use the Oceanic software which you can download from their web site. I was hoping someone had already done this but judging from the lack of replies to my query no-one has.

I think I'll probably get a serial IR adapter and just give it a go and see what happens. In the mean time I'll keep checking Ebay, which is where I bought the XTC 100 anyway!

Strange that Oceanic advised you not to buy the interface from them as it wasn't worth it - I wonder if they would release the technical details of how the device communicates - it probaby just sends the data in ASCII after some form of handshake.

Anyway if I have any luck I'll let you know.

CRL

this thread is really old, but maybe my efforts can help someone out there. I have a XTC100 with green buttons and found a parallel cable at a dive shop for cheap enough to buy it and make the effort.

The parallel cable software will not work with anything other than win95 or 98 because they use priveleged instructions which are not allowed on later windows. (hardware level stuff).

I opened the cable, it has 4 wires:
G (black) - pins 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25
V - (red) pins 2, 3, 4, 5
O - (blue or white) pin 13
I - (blue or white) pin 1
I assume that G = ground, V = voltage, O = output, I = input.

they use one pin on the parallel cable to transmit serially, so a serial to parallel converter wont work.

The green button and the blue button XTC should work with the parallel software, they just have different memory.

HOWEVER....
I cant make it work. It downloads 1024 records which should relate to the date and time of the dives in the memory, but all the records look the same and the Oceanlog software says "invalid data"

Geoff
Cape Town

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom