Warning: Avoid Lion Air

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Travelnsj

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Yesterday I was flying from Sorong to Manado. Lion Air only allows 15 kg luggage on that route....They tried to hit me with a $70 overage. I ended up paying about $50....Got to Manado no Scuba bag. They said it would be here for my flight to US today in Singapore. Staying at the Conrad they spent well over an hour with Lion Air finally we went down to their office this afternoon. They suggested I cancel my flight to the US and they will try to have it here maybe tommorrow nite.....I have no recourse...I lost my gear...probably being sold now.....first time I put my regulator in the bag as they would not let me carry it on.....Those bums!!!!

Avoid LION AIR!

Yesterday I was flying from Sorong to Manado. Lion Air only allows 15 kg luggage on that route....They tried to hit me with a $70 overage. I ended up paying about $50....Got to Manado no Scuba bag. They said it would be here for my flight to US today in Singapore. Staying at the Conrad they spent well over an hour with Lion Air finally we went down to their office this afternoon. They suggested I cancel my flight to the US and they will try to have it here maybe tommorrow nite.....I have no recourse...I lost my gear...probably being sold now.....first time I put my regulator in the bag as they would not let me carry it on.....Those bums!!!!

Avoid LION AIR!

Hi Scott, very sorry to hear that, I hope you get your stuff back. I'm guessing there is no criminal intent, just a shakedown gone wrong. I took Lion Air to Ambon and they were less overtly unpleasant than Merpati to Kupang, but no less costly or inflexible. I wound up paying a similar overage leaving Ambon on a direct flight back to Jakarta, but they let me take my CCR and regs in the carry on and tacked on all the overage to the checked bags, even though they were also only a few kilos over and no one could give a good explanation why my carry-on bag being over by 5 kilos of scuba gear was such a big deal on a 1/2 full flight, despite not paying any overage inbound and having the luggage tags to prove it. They were dicks to be sure, and bent the rules in their favor, which I consider to be a mark of obvious bad faith in any luggage dispute.

So why isn't your travel agent or, out of courtesy for your expensive international airfare, Singapore Air making sure to track down the bag and send it through on the next flight? Seems reasonable enough to me, after all they brought the bags to Indo, they should send them back to you. What difference does it make if they are loaded on the same flight a day later than you were? -Andy

Really sad to hear that. I certainly hope you get your stuff back. My parents have been flying LionAir a lot for their domestic flight in Indo, and up to now everything have been kinda smooth.

Scott I told you back in March of 07 that lion air sucked. I guess you didn't hear me so let me speak up LION AIR SUCKS!

Sorry to hear this . Stuff like this at the end of a trip always hurts .
I would also try to get Sing airlines to hook up with Lion air to get your bag sent over after you fly. I have had this problem many times flying Emirates and Azerbaijan airlines. my bag always shows up in the end 2 or 3 days later. I just go to the airport to collect.

Anyway hope you get your gear.
I would say you have been V unlucky. Lion air is one of the better airlines in Indo. That says a lot about the rest but i believe this to be true.

They have the luggage or so they say....they wanted me to spend another nite or two in Singapore so I could get it.....I asked if they would pay for a new ticket to the USA....then they did not understand me!.....we will see if it ever gets shipped tho the USA.....I have my doubts!....i may post a list of items so people can check ebay for me!...probably has a better chance showing up there!

Sorry to hear that, Scott. I usually do not travel with anything but my critical equipment (reg and computer), and carry that on along with my video equipment. I hope you had insurance on the items.

You should have told them that you had some really vile skin disease, or repiratory communicable disease. No guarantees, but it might facilitate them locating the bag.

Sorry dude,

Art

Good luck Scott, sorry to hear about the problem

sorry to hear that....hope you get them back now. I flew with Lion Air from Sorong - Manado, I didn't have any problem. took my Reg & Camera+housing as carry on... no problem. my check in luggage was over 20kg, but they didn't charge over weight.... Your favorit SQ lost my baggage twice.... a friend flew with Swiss air in 1st class and they lost his baggage! so you just had a bad luck!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom