Suunto D9 compass: locking a heading during a dive

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mruseless

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I recently purchased a Suunto D9. I am very satisfied with it except for the compass. For those of you out there with a D9, perhaps you can answer a question that I could not find in the manual:

Is there a way to lock a bearing during a dive?

Before a dive starts, you can put the D9 into compass mode and lock a bearing using the Select button. But during a dive, this button saves a bookmark.

Well, the lack of responses means one of two things:
Either there aren't many people with D9's who read the post, or no one knows the answer.

My guess is that there isn't a way to lock the compass heading while underwater.
Makes the compass sort of worthless in my opinion.

Just saw this post. My D-9 if I do a short press it will place a bookmark in the log. Long press and hold locks in a new compass heading.

Just saw this post. My D-9 if I do a short press it will place a bookmark in the log. Long press and hold locks in a new compass heading.

Interesting, on my D9, once a dive has begun, a long press of the Select button switches the unit into compass mode, and another long press switches back to dive mode. How long of a press are you talking about?

Well, I emailed Suunto support, and they got back to me within a couple days.

Turns out that, while on a dive and in Compass mode, a long press of the Select button adds a bookmark with the heading AND locks the new heading. Duh, not sure why I didn't think of that, but at least I've got an answer.

Back
Top Bottom