Schools of thoughts

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

frothchild

Contributor
Reaction score
As a diver less than 2 years experience, I have begun to educate myself on the various schools / trainings of diving. I am curious about GUE and why it seems to have such a "love 'em" or "hate 'em" following.

Can someone shed some light onto this topic?

Thanks

I understand your question, because as I have searched about the net, it seems that GUE is a VERY touchy subject, but I am honestly hoping to open up an intelligent dialog and help make the best decision for myself.

I have found additional information in some of the other boards.

GUE provides what is, in my mind, the best recreational diver training routinely available. The fuss comes from the "Do It Right" motto that implies that others "Do It Wrong." There is a also bit of a refusal within GUE to recognize that there is more than one way to skin a cat, and what I refer to as being "cave blind," that is to say carry forward into open water things that made sense in a cave environment but that may not be as clear cut in open water.

GUE (About GUE | Global Underwater Explorers)

I remained thinking about "we do it right" and others do it wrong.
What an statement !
No one is the full owner of the truth.
Each one understands the reality through each one's filters, meaning filters your education, experience, lenguage, history, preconcepts, what you have been told related to others experience, and so on.

GUE (About GUE | Global Underwater Explorers)

I remained thinking about "we do it right" and others do it wrong.
What an statement !
No one is the full owner of the truth.
Each one understands the reality through each one's filters, meaning filters your education, experience, lenguage, history, preconcepts, what you have been told related to others experience, and so on.

Outstanding post! No One way dictates all others. Situation dictates, improvise do to situation. Adapt and overcome the obstacle or situation. As you mentioned filters(education, experience ex.) all are "truths" that will guide your decision how you will act. You can train through repetition but you can not train for every situation. You my find a better way for you in that situation. Your Experience is your biggest "truth"......in "my" opinion.

I understand your question, because as I have searched about the net, it seems that GUE is a VERY touchy subject, but I am honestly hoping to open up an intelligent dialog and help make the best decision for myself.

GUE is such a touchy topic because there are some "practitioners" that believe there is no other "right" way to dive and those of us that don't dive the DIR way are horrible divers. These "practitioners" are few in number, but are unfortunately very vocal. GUE is not a bad system, but it isn't for everyone. Go ahead and take the Fundies course. From what I understand, it's a good course and worth it for most people. If you are seriously considering taking a GUE course and continuing with that type of diving, I recommend you find a couple of buddies that you will dive with on a regular basis to sign up with you.

Thank you for your reply. One of the things I came across had to do with finding like minded dive buddies.

I opened this can of worms also because it looks like I will be down in the Ginnie Springs area for the next couple of months for work and wanted to know what I may be getting myself into should I decide to look into Cave diving.

Thank you again.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom