Long reg hose

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

benha

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Anyone have any guidance on rigging a long reg hose for bug hunting?

My questions on this include (but are not limited to):

- Rig this as an octo off the main first stage, or off a separate first stage on an H-Valve?
- Advisable to attach a bolt-snap and clip to the weight belt when away from your tank?
- Use an octo 2nd stage, or a standard one?
- Reasonable hose length?
- Can you get the Miflex hoses in lengths longer than 7'? Is it worth it for this application?
- Anything else?

This is probably of no use to you, as I have no real answers to any of your questions, but I did meet a diver once who was a serious (maybe psycho) bug diver. He used a SCUBAPro Knight Hawk BC with an Air2 power inflator (it doubled as an octopus.) What was interesting was the length of his first stage; it must have been 10 feet long. He had it rolled up like a rope and attached cleanly to his BC. He said it was so he could remove his SCUBA unit and slip deep into crevices and holes he couldn't otherwise get into with all his gear on. I am guessing that is what you are driving at. Personally, I'd just do a night dive and wait for them to be out running around before I would go through all the effort. But then again, I don't seem to catch as many bugs as many others do. My only advice (and everyone may disagree with me) but if you are going to take off your gear and jam yourself deep into a hole or under a tight ledge, then at least do it with your primary second stage in your mouth. That is no situation to be using a back up that may not have been breathed in a very long time. Anyway, just my two cents and I truly admire your passion to catch the bugs!!!!

Is it worth it for this application?
- Anything else?

Dude, in my opinion it's just not worth it for a lobster. Your life, your choices, but do you really want to put yourself in a situation where you are already pushing the envelope and tempted to push much further? Over a lobster? Keep coming back out and you will catch those big lobster, I promise.

Yes, I do remove my gear to grab them sometimes, I keep the primary in my mouth and it's on a 30-inch Miflex so that pretty much limits how far I can push it.

One of my best friends is a very good freediver and he used hang under tight ledges all the time, so far back that you could not see his long blade fins. Until one day he had an incident... I guarantee he doesn't ever do that again because he's lucky he's not dead.

Regards,
Chris

Back
Top Bottom