Uwatec Smart Pro and EeePC

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Gruso

New
Reaction score
Hi all.

I'm posting on behalf of my dad (he's the diver, not me). He bought an EeePC a few months back, hoping to make use of it on longer dive trips. It's pretty limited in its standard form though, being the Linux version in "simple" mode, and it hasn't really seen any use. I'd like to set it up so he can download his dive logs to it when he's away. His dive computer is a Uwatec Smart Pro.

I'm in the process of installing some real Linux on the Eee, probably Mandriva. I've already found a couple of Linux apps that talk to Uwatec computers (J-Trak looks like the best one). If I can't get it all working, I might just fold and put XP on the Eee.

I have a few questions before I go too far, the first one being most important.

1. Dad is concerned that if he downloads his dive logs to the Eee, they will be removed from the dive computer, and he won't be able to download them to his XP machine when he gets home. I've done some reading, and I get the impression that nothing is actually deleted from the dive computer, it just stores up to its max capacity, then rolls off the oldest dives as you log new ones. If that's the case then he should be able to download to as many PCs as he wants. Can anyone confirm this?

2. Does anyone else take an EeePC (or other netbook, or PDA) on their dive trips? What do you use it for?

3. This is the long shot. Are there any Linux-using divers on the boards? Any tips?

Thanks for reading. :)

I have a Uwatec Smart Com. You are correct the dives stay on the dive computer. I brought along my laptop the last couple of trips. I can review my profiles, temps, air usage, acsent rates etc. not always necessary but interesting. I make notes in my dive log and can expand in my computer log. I am also logging fish ive seen. I can also download to a PDA now.. I might switch to that.

Bob in CO

Thanks Bob, just what I wanted to hear! The project shall go on. If/when I get the dive logs happening, I'll explore other uses for the EeePC that dad might like too. GPS perhaps.

I found an old thread entitled "Dive Computers & Linux" (which I can't link to with one post under my belt), so there are some Linux using divers around it seems.

If I have any successes, I'll share here. :)

Back
Top Bottom