I saw Coral Reef Adventure at IMAX

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ZoCrowes255

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
I saw Coral Reef Adventure at IMAX yesterday. It was a great movie with beautiful visuals and a great story behind it (trying to save a reef in Fiji from being wiped out) but some of the divers in it made me shake my head in dismay. They had HORRENDOUS buoyancy control. Much of the time they were plastered to the bottom. I understand that they had to lug around that gigantic IMAX cam sometimes but in times where they weren't it was still bad. These were people who had been diving for 30+ years too. I also saw: breathholding with a reg out of the mouth, loose or improperly clipped off octos and gauges and harrassment of marine life.

Despite the drawbacks I hope it will introduce a few new people to diving because it really was a breathtaking film.

Just saw the movie today and thought it was awesome. It had a very good story line,(trying to save a coral reef in Figi) great soundtrack, spectacular cinematography. I wanted to go grab my gear and get in the water as soon as it was over. I would recommend it to everyone I know.

was when they were talking about the wife worrying about the husband because he had taken a serious hit several months back and now he was going to 350 on a rebreather........I woulld have been worried too. :D

ckharlan66 once bubbled...
was when they were talking about the wife worrying about the husband because he had taken a serious hit several months back and now he was going to 350 on a rebreather........I woulld have been worried too. :D

I was just sitting there thinking "You would think they would have learned their lesson by now..."

my girlfriend was laughing at me because I was shifting in my seat wanting to yell at the screen due to all the bad diving.....I did like the film though.....great shots.

Chad

San Antonio, and I thought the scenes were beautiful.

I think I was in dream-mode for the entire movie. LOL I kept thinking: I want to be there, I want to be there, I REALLY want to be there.... LOL

I just found out that it was his fault he got bent. As I recall, the movie doesn't mention anything about it being diver error, just that he got bent.

I have been doing research into rebreathers and came across the article were he talks about how he got all caught up in filming and the moment and forgot to take action until 15 minutes after the fact.

Stuff like this keeps non-divers believing the sport is dangerous. As something who is trying his best to make an execellent sales pitch to his beautiful girlfriend, I could of certainly used an explanation that it was diver error during the movie. :)

Here is the link---

http://www.howardhall.com/stories/rebreather_blunders.html

Scroll all the way down to the last section called--Pushing the Envelope for the error description...although the entire page is worth reading.

;-0

Here is his accident analysis of the hit. It has been on his website for a few years so I really don't think they are trying to hide anything.

http://www.howardhall.com/stories/deco_hit.html

I have to agree with how bad their buoyancy looked. But really great film. The part at the end where they are flying with the current was awesome...they looked like they were having a blast. Music was great too!

By the way first post to this board so my apoligies if it comes out looking weird.

Karen

You don't even want to know the real truth behind some of the filming. They are pushing the limits to extremes.

PO2 limits so high that they are actually coming up blind... kinda scary.

But... that's why they get paid the "Big Bucks"

:D

Incredible Film... if you're lucky enough to be in an area with it playing... GO SEE IT

Back
Top Bottom