Reference Book for Fish/Creature Identification

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ajy733

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
We are going to Sulawesi in the spring and I would like to purchase a reference book to help me identify the fish etc. I have always relied on the Paul Humann ones for the caribbean but am not sure that the Pacific one is the best choice for the next trip. Any advice?

Reef Fish Identification TROPICAL PACIFIC by Paul Humann,Gerald Allen, Roger Steene and Ned DeLoach is excellent for Sulawesi.

In fact it seems that many of the odd critters were photographed in Lembeh.

In the US you can get it for US $30 (includes shipping) from Amazon.

Reef Fish Identification TROPICAL PACIFIC by Paul Humann,Gerald Allen, Roger Steene and Ned DeLoach is excellent for Sulawesi.

Another vote for that book, it's really great as fish ID book.
The downside is that it does contain neither nudis, shrimps nor crabs; and the weight.

I also like the Indo-Pacific Coral Reef Field Guide by Gerald R. Allen; Roger Steene. It contains also the invertebraes, sponges, etc., but obviously is less detailed.

A Diver's Guide to Underwater Malaysia Macrolife by Andrea & Antonella Ferrari

ISBN 983-2731-00-3

The muck diving bible.

The other book is good for fish but this one has it all.

I like the Reef Fish Identification Tropical Pacific book by Gerald Allen. I have dove with Andrea & Antonella Ferrari in Bali and they told me about their book (they did not give me a copy:( )which is excellent. For my use I find the Tropical Pacific the easiest.

As I said the Reef Fish book is great for fish but there are lots of other things like nudibranchs, shrimp, octopus, cuttlefish, etc... you won't find in the Reef Fish book. The book I recommend is more inclusive if you want ALL the critters.

I also agree that this is the best, by far, for fish ID. I also have the others that cover non-fish too which are okay but obviously don't have the detail or variety of fish. For that, the Indo-Pacific Coral Reef Field is quite decent. Underwater Malaysia Macrolife has the better photos but less overall variety and information, IMHO.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom