Anyone dive Sakonnet Point???

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ScubaSarus

Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Has anyone had experience diving Sakonnet Point in Little Compton RI?
If the ocean isn't too rough we are going out there to hopefully video topeado rays if f found and would like some advice on were to dive. Its a new spot for me and I'de welcome any suggestions.

I know its a stretch but someone has mentioned to us that S.P. is a place that lots of Torpeado Rays have been spotted. They supposedly migrate south from Maine and prefer cold water.

Thanks

Has anyone had experience diving Sakonnet Point in Little Compton RI?
If the ocean isn't too rough we are going out there to hopefully video topeado rays if f found and would like some advice on were to dive. Its a new spot for me and I'de welcome any suggestions.

Thanks
Yes, many, many times. What do you want to dive? Do you have a boat or are you going form shore?

Sean we are going from shore, currents are a concern, and we would like to get to a depth of 20ft or more. Looking at the charts shows the area as quite shallow so a 200 yard snorkle may be needed. We want some interesting topography (crevasse, rocky areas, sandy areas, etc).

Ide appreciate any suggestions for parking and a shore entry.

Thanks

The beach Parking Area South of Long Pond look interesting. Looks like a farming community and quite rural.

Just got off the phone with the Nature Condervency, They have pointed out Town Beach parking near Goosewing Beach right near the water..

Hopefully another addition to that shore diving book I hope to get started on again soon.

Last edited:
Sean we are going from shore, currents are a concern, and we would like to get to a depth of 20ft or more. Looking at the charts shows the area as quite shallow so a 200 yard snorkle may be needed. We want some interesting topography (crevasse, rocky areas, sandy areas, etc).

Ide appreciate any suggestions for parking and a shore entry.

Thanks
It's been a while since I dove it from shore. We usually dive from our boat.
You used to be able to park near the boatramp and swim out along the breakwater.
There are some really nice spots with beautiful rock formations but you need a boat to get to them(a Kayak or Inflatable would work fine), Elisha and Schuyler ledge are nice as is the Rocky are on the south side of West Island. The area around Goosewing beach that you refer to is similar in topography to King's Beach in Newport.

My key spot tomorrow is off Atlantic Ave just below Long Pond called Warren Point. It looks very interesting and rocky and the water looks quite clear from Google earth. There is a little parking lot there and hopefully we be able to pull that off rather than diving South Shore/Goosewing beach.

The dive will not be complete without taking some footage of the land also as this are of RI is quite unique and has an interesting history and some neat nature preserves.

Any recent 411 on shore dives at Sakonnet Point? I will be in Little compton in early August and would love to do a shore dive here...

Any locals want to join the fun?

I’ve dived Sakonnet point many times. The breakwater there used to be loaded with lobsters, also Warren point. Both are very shallow with maybe 25FSW MAX depth. The boat traffic at Sakonnet point during the day is heavy so bring a flag it’s required anyway. Warren point isn’t bad for boat traffic.

Years ago the lobster men would bobby trap their pots with blasting caps and put razor blades in the rope.

They also used to tried and run divers down with their boats. I don’t think that goes on any more but don’t touch any lobster pots.

The diving is easy at both places. I never saw Torpedo Rays at either location. At Warren point one night I shined a light on a 3-4’ goosefish that turned and starting coming right at the light. Goosefish have rows of sharp needle like teeth. It is believed the only reported “shark” attack on a human in Buzzards Bay may have been actually been an overly large goosefish. As soon as I covered the light leaving only a silhouette of the fish, I saw it turn away and continue on it's way.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom