weights and drysuits

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

snuggle

Reaction score
went diving yesterday to try out a drysuit and it was so good to be back in the water..it really helped BUT i couldnt get below the surface ..i had 22 pounds around my waist as thats all i could fit on the belt and had 6 pounds in my bcds pockets and still couldnt get down..below the surface..can someone please help me here..id really apreciate it..thanks

Hey snuggle, glad to see you went diving and that things are going better. What kind of drysuit do you have? When I used a Bare neoprene suit, it took quite alot of weight to offset it.

If i remember right you are using a 7mm drysuit which is gonna require extra weight cause they are so buoyant at the surface till it starts to compress a little after you get around 15ft under the surface.

Here are a few tips.Don your drysuit and with no gear go into the water about neck deep and open the neck seal to try to get as much air out as possible.Just be sure not to let any water in.Now go back and don your gear.

If your diving salt water it will probably be better to slightly overweight your self to start off at around 30lbs or slightly more depending on your undrgarments.Take your tank down to about 5oolbs and do a check to see if your light or heavy at around 15ft and adjust your weight accordingly.

A few tips for getting under.Your drysuit should be shrinkwrapped on you at this stage from purging the air.Crosss your feet and tuck them up by your butt so you dont unknowingly kick your feet.Fully deflate your bc.Completely exhale and breathe off the bottom of your lungs by taking shallow breaths and exhaling completely till you get to about 15ft.

Hopefully this will help.Just remember to try to purge your suit completely of all air before you submerge.Try to keep about a 15-20 ft squeeze in your suit and use your bc for buoyancy.Another tip is to leave your exhaust valve fully open and just add small amounts of air to offset excessive squeeze.By doing so will equalize your suit kinda like your mask when you descend and have to blow through your nose to equalize the mask pressure.

I missed your posts the other day and am glad to hear your doing better.Just hang in there.Things have a way of working themselves out.Trust me i know.... :D If not you have your scubaboard buds to turn too. :)

thanks lal and you are right i have many friends here and they did make a difference

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom