Alternative to Suunto Dive Manager software?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mruseless

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Does anyone know of an alternate PC dive log program that can handle Suunto computers?

Unfortunately I'm an XP guy.
Did a few Google searches and searches here and came up with 2 promising ones:
SharkPoint (very expensive)
Diving Log 4.0.

Anyone use these, and what are your opinions?

I've been using Diving Log for a while and like it because it also has a pocket pc version that synchronizes with the pc. It is definitely superior to suunto software, which I still have on my computer but hardly open anymore. Recently Sven has also released a viewer for diving log databases. By the way it is the only program that has multilanguage support AFAIK.
I don't have any idea about sharkpoint software but there is also an opensource java based divelog, which seems to have nice features. I haven't used it though.

I just checked diving log's website and found that it can now synchronize with dilogs.com, an online diving log and social networking portal for divers. Good extension for a software already at hand. :D

I've been demo'ing Diving Log 4.0, looks pretty well done. A few quirky things, but this program will do everything I want and a lot more. The dilogs.com thing is just gravy!

I'm still investigating SharkPoint, but it really seems overpriced. $90, plus you have to pay another $30 for each type of dive computer you want! Seems a bit over the top.

Yeah, Divinglog does what I expect, too. Nowadays I'm having some trouble with synching back from my PPC but it was working. So probably there is something wrong with my setup; it's not a big deal though, I just don't have patience to reinstall it again. At least till my next dive trip :wink:
I don't know sharkpoint software but if you ever try it, I'd like to know your opinion about them comparatively.

I don't know sharkpoint software but if you ever try it, I'd like to know your opinion about them comparatively.

I downloaded the demo for Sharkpoint, but the demo really sucks. You can only enter 5 dives (which isn't so bad), but you can't save it, and the demo doesn't import dives properly. So I played around with it for a while, but my initial impressions were soured a bit by the poor demo.

As far as I could tell, there is only one feature that SharkPoint has that DL4 does not: Sea Life cataloging. There is a tab on each dive where you can log the marine life you observed, including a photo if you want. That's pretty cool, but not worth $55 more than DL4.

Besides, Sven, the author of DL4 is working on DL5 and hopefully it will be out soon. I'll throw in the suggestion for a marine life table and maybe it will be included.

Also, DL4 has a much more advanced report and printing system. If you can learn it, the report manager can create completely customized dive log sheets and reports.

Call me retro, but I like the older Suunto Dive Manager software v1.6 better than the newer one v2.6. It is pretty basic, but works fine. I run it under Parallels on my Mac. What do people want out of their dive log other than graphs, air consumption, temperature, gear lists, and notes?

Call me retro, but I like the older Suunto Dive Manager software v1.6 better than the newer one v2.6. It is pretty basic, but works fine. I run it under Parallels on my Mac. What do people want out of their dive log other than graphs, air consumption, temperature, gear lists, and notes?

Good question! I actually used SDM 1.6 for a long time, then 2.6. The main reason I went looking for something else was I wanted statistics. I wanted to know how many dives I had done in October vs. other months, or how many hours per year, or how many in Mexico vs. other countries, etc. Just for my own curiosity.

Diving Log 4 does this very well. The rest is gravy.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom