What is this thing in my H-valve?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

sanderw

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hi all,

Didn't know where to ask this, please feel free to move it!

I bought a H-valve and it came with a little piece of pipe that screws into the valve. This piece of pipe would stick into the cylinder without touching the sides.

Does anyone know what this is? I am 80% sure my current valve does not have anything like that. Unless I was just incredible unobservant when they took it out to visual the cylinder.

My guess is that it allows dry air to reach the valve even if the cylinder has some water in it and is upended. Am I close?

Thanks!

If you have any debris in your tank and your tank would be inverted it could get into your valve. With the tube in place thats not going to happen.

Don't mean to hijack the thread, but I have a valve missing the dip tube. Anybody know: 1) are they a standard size for all (most) valves? and 2) where I can get one? I can't tell offhand the size of the threads, but it's a Thermo valve.

Ah, I didn't think of debris. Good point. How common is it to have debris in the tank? I had a look in mine when I fitted the H-valve an the inside is shiny and clean.

Thanks everyone!

Ah, I didn't think of debris. Good point. How common is it to have debris in the tank? I had a look in mine when I fitted the H-valve an the inside is shiny and clean.

Thanks everyone!

I think it's mainly to keep you from inhaling water, and debris.

Thanks everyone!

You should never have debris or water inside the tank. If you do, fix it quickly!

I dislike dip tubes, most do not have a very good way to be wrenched in well, and I've had two or three fall off in my tanks. Doesn't bug me too much, but when a shop in another town refuses to fill a tank which was just vipped a week before because the dip tube fell off, you kind of being to resent the things :)

You should never have debris or water inside the tank. If you do, fix it quickly!

I dislike dip tubes, most do not have a very good way to be wrenched in well, and I've had two or three fall off in my tanks. Doesn't bug me too much, but when a shop in another town refuses to fill a tank which was just vipped a week before because the dip tube fell off, you kind of being to resent the things :)

I use a lathe collet of appropriate size to grip the dip tube, but I know most don't have a cabinet full of 5C collets / and or the means to close the collet.

The next best way is a chuck in a drill motor. Spin the dip tube in by hand and then grab it with the drill chuck and snug it up.

I usually either put a turn of teflon tape on the threads or slightly deform the threads with a pair of pliers prior to installation. I've never had one fall out.

Tobin

Grrr...I have one rolling around in one of my LP80s right now. :shakehead: I've already "fixed" this once, and it started rolling around again within 1-2 fills. Pretty annoying to say the least.

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom